THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie to reloading just saying hi.. w/ ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all nice to be here, I am just making my start in reloading. As I have been told I have placed an order for a couple of manuals and hope torecieve my equipment by or for Christmas. I have asked santa wife for a lee classic turret press kit, I know its not the best but hey Im 35 married with 2 young daughters so you know, santas got a budget ha, ha! Anyways I was wondering what else I should be looking at as far as things I may need other than what comes in the kit or what may be something that may make my life easier , especially any lee dies(again budget) I may look at. I am only going to be reloading for a.308 as well as a .270 winchester. so any input from your experience will be greatly appreciated and documented in my "notes book" I have started keeping. Thanks in advance and apologize for being longwinded.

John 3:16

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard! You're far from longwinded Wink

I started out with lee equuipment and it served me well for years. I'm still using some lee dies.

My suggestion would be to start with the lee classic cast press. In general I don't like turret presses. For a single stage press that allows quick change of dies, I like the forster co-ax, and to really speed things up, save up for a dillon.

But for the basics, single stage press, dies, bullet primer, powder scale, powder thrower (the lee perfect thrower really isn't worth the $, save up for a redding BR, or hand weigh charges) 4 or 6" caliper, the cheap $20 chinese ones are suprisingly accurate, lee case trimmer, and something to deburr cases.

You can't have too many reloading manuals. Do allot of research on which loads most folks have good results with and you'll shorten your learning curve. Hint start with RL 15 in your .308 and try a box each of 150 and 165 gr balistic tips. Not my favorite game bullet, but they'll teach you the basics of reloading, and you'll have little trouble getting some tiny groups.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must agree with Paul H Don't start with a turret
go with the Lee classic cast single stage press.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the dies that come with the lee classic single stage press kit?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the kits come without dies.

I've used lee rgb dies and while they aren't hardened and won't last forever, they work well enough for the $. You can also watch the classifieds and e-bay and other auction sights for used dies. Just keep an eye on shipping costs as you can end up spending as much as you would on a new set of dies.

Another thought is for seating primers the RCBS hand primer uses std shell holders, while the Lee uses specialized holders. Hence I'd opt for the rcbs unit over the lee as they really aren't that much different in price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's approach your situation from a different perspective. For the basics of reloading, you require two major pieces of equipment. You need a press. You need a scale. Let's look at the latter first, and get back to the first later.

The Lee scale is useless. The better scales are made by Ohaus and sold under the labels of RCBS (502, 505, and 10-10) and Dillon. The 505 is a three-poise design, and the others are two-poise. You are getting full value for your money when you buy on price with this line of equipment. If you particularly like one more than another, then spend your money there. (I'm counting on your not being attracted to the relatively expensive 10-10. The Dillon is the least expensive.) You can find other scales for $10 or so less, but they are not good values. This scale you will use forever, or at least until you get an electronic dispenser.

Some of the Lee equipment does make sense for your budget. The AutoPrime, case trimmer, shellholders, and primer pocket cleaner are all serviceable.

Everyone has the rocketship chamfer tool, plastic funnel, and such doodads. Old bore brushes make fine neck cleaning brushes. As for loading trays, Sinclair has some excellent ones, both wooden and plastic; these are small dollars that will make life easier. Go ahead and get a Sinclair catalog; it will give you an idea of what's in store for your future. A WalMart electric screwdriver is another hot tip. Imperial sizing wax.

Dies. My biggest complaint with the Lee dies is the lock rings: they do not lock to the die body. You will have to set the dies up every time they are changed out. Your option is to either replace the rings with a locking style (anyone else's), or to get extra Lees and double-nut them (remove the O-ring). If you have any application for Hornady bullets, their dies may be very attractive. They will give you 100 free for each die set you buy (don't know if there are any shipping fees attached to the deal; you will need to ask Hornady). People have been critical of the Hornady dies because of the difficulty in locking the sizing stem in their older design, but this has been corrected for several years now. The seater comes with an aligning sleeve, which other standard dies do not have. Their locknut is a preferred piece used as a replacement by many reloaders, and it is supplied with the dies.

The powder measure is a piece best avoided in the early stages. It is expensive, and may not be warranted. Most of the preferred powders for larger cases don't meter well, and the charges end up being weighed. A set of Lee dippers will serve just as well. A trickler (Redding is the preferred piece for both mass and function) is useful here, but many experienced reloaders just pinch to make adjustments for over or under.

So what we have left is the press. Lee makes two that are worthwhile. The little Reloader press is great for de-capping and other special operations. The other is the Classic Cast that has been recommended. By its reputation, the press is perfectly functional and should serve you well. It is a large-framed design that will accommodate the biggest magnum cases. [At this point I will ask that you do a search in this forum for Lee equipment. Included in all of the commentary, you should find my evaluation of Lee and its function in the marketplace.] My recommendation, though, goes to the other direction. For $20 more, you can have as well built a piece as is available (short of the boutique items). The Redding Boss was designed to accommodate standard-length ('06) and Winchester magnum-length cases. Unless you see an H&H or UltraMag in your future, it is the correct size for your needs. This is another piece you will be using long after I'm gone and you're wondering how the country went to hell.

Take a look. Decide what you need. I don't think you'll find all of the pieces in a kit. Remember: press and scale. Everything else is ancillary.

Now, THIS has been long-winded.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I agree the lee scale is cheap, and looks like a joke, it is not useless. I'm managed to use it to put together 1000's of safe accurate loads in over a dozen different rifles and pistols that chronograph within 50 fps of book velocity when correcting for barrel length.

I do use a redding br 30 powder thrower for all my loads and the lee is simply used to check charge weights. But the lee scale does in fact work, and is accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
But the Lee scale does in fact work, and is accurate.

I can see where we are approaching the weigh vs. volume philosophy in which BR departs from the rest of the shooting world. You rely on your powder/measure combo that is highly consistent. The rest of the world, because of their powders, is stuck with weighing. I don't see where this scale really benefits someone who is weighing all of his loads. To wit:

quote:
From Midway's reviews:
I am very unhappy with this scale. It was part of the Lee anniversary package, and it is the only Lee product I have ever used that has not worked as advertised. I cannot get the scale to function properly when trying to measure a powder charge. Every time you remove and replace the pan, the arm moves from side to side along the razor edge bearing. Sometimes the arm sticks to the magnetic dampener, giving completely hosed up readings. This is a piece of junk. I will buy the RCBS 502 and be on my way.

While there are many reviews saying that it is great for the money, as many find the thing to be dysfunctional. I'm sure that production variation enters into the picture, but that variation is a major detriment to the utility of Lee products.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR!

You'll find a lot of interesting opinion and useful information on here.
I started loading myself on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker kit. It had everything in it for one caliber and I am still using most of it today.
The key to starting off right is to follow the manual, and get tutoring if you can. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far, as far as dillon equip., maybe someday when the mortgage is paid off and the girls are through college, lol. Sure Id love to get the best stuff but it just isnt going to happen, just want to stay safe and learn for now, but I am learning a lot from everybody and really do appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would echo the remark of not starting with a turret press. It sounds great and it sounds speedy and it sounds like you get alot more done in less time....But....

consider the following:
Reloading is a precision hobby. It is a learned hobby and getting it right and exploring all facets of componet manufacture and assembly is what yields that precision. You learn it one load at a time. You will find that best load for youre rifle and you will then seek to improve on that......You really can take a factory rifle and thru reloading....get it to a .5" group at 100 yards on most factory rifles....or so is my experience.

As my wife likes to say....."I hope you learned how to do this stuff the right way!" because " you know you are assembling explosives in my basement!!!! RIGHT?????"

So if you have a progressive press you will find it a pain when you want to just size your brass. Or just seat primers...or just seat a bullet as opposed to seat it and then crimp it....

Buy a C type press. get it right and then get it all mechanized by buying the progressive later on. Funny, you will find out that even after you do get the progressive 2nd press....you will,more often than not, use that simpler press to construct that custom load.....ONE STEP AT A TIME.

my two cents.

Also, if you have a progressive press from the start, you have a lot of gear and mechanics that you have to learn WHILE you are learning to load.

-If you can load 200+ rounds per hour that sounds great, but

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rje and winchester 69 , thanks for taking the time to give me some great advice, I really appreciate it, and win. 69, the more wind the better is what I say, ha!

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Accurate Reloading. Don't be disparaging about the Lee equipment. I started with Lee equipment and I'm still using it and loading great ammo with tight groups in several calibers. As others have said, a turret press may be a bit much to start on. I think I'd recommend a single stage press for starting out. As you have indicated your going to do, read as much on reloading as you can before you start. You need to be familiar with every stage of the process and the whys of everything you do.

Reloading is the most enjoyable hobby I have. I think your in for years of excitement and satisfaction in the wonderful world of reloading.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
I must agree with Paul H Don't start with a turret
go with the Lee classic cast single stage press.
Lyle

+1 this is a great press.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sydsdaddy:
rje and Winchester 69 , Thanks for taking the time to give me some great advice. I really appreciate it. And Win. 69, the more wind the better is what I say, ha!

You're most welcome. And don't forget to thank BigNate for his sound advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sydsdaddy:
Hi all nice to be here, I am just making my start in reloading. As I have been told I have placed an order for a couple of manuals and hope torecieve my equipment by or for Christmas. I have asked santa wife for a lee classic turret press kit, I know its not the best but hey Im 35 married with 2 young daughters so you know, santas got a budget ha, ha! Anyways I was wondering what else I should be looking at as far as things I may need other than what comes in the kit or what may be something that may make my life easier , especially any lee dies(again budget) I may look at. I am only going to be reloading for a.308 as well as a .270 winchester. so any input from your experience will be greatly appreciated and documented in my "notes book" I have started keeping. Thanks in advance and apologize for being longwinded.

syd, pm me your address, I have a book for you i will send you about the basics of reloading.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the thanks....
btw. when you go out to buy loading ref manuals, don't stop with buying the LEE manual. I have read that one from cover to cover multiple times over the years and there is good stuff there....but the company makes too many unsubstantiated statements about how LEE precision products are the absolute best on the market and the most precise.
I take issue with this and after loading using there advice and not many others ....for multiple years....I look back and know that if I focused on Redding/RCBS/LYMAN/FORSTER dies and precsion tools that I would have been shooting tighter groups using better dies and better equipment overall. LEE may sell the most. But all you have to look at is the locking rings to see that the stuff is far from the best out there.

finally.....I might suggest that you order a 20.00 lee target loader and use that till xmas time when you expect to get your press. After just bashing LEE, this inexpensive kit only requires a hammer and a block of wood to turn out ammot that is cheap and reliable. But don't expect to pound out more than 50 loads in an evening. And only use it for Rifle in the specific caliber.....

happy relaoding.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all so far , thanks so much for all the help. I love reading and learning andits nice to see you can ask multiple questions and not feel as if you are bugging anyone.My notebook is filling up fast with notes I keep and organize for myself

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rje:
After just bashing LEE, this inexpensive kit only requires a hammer and a block of wood....

Why is this so amusing to me? Cool

One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted Hide Post
I am also just getting started in reloading. I am also using Lee equipment due to budget constraints. This is all very useful information. Thank You

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new obsession. You will love it.

Don't forget safety glasses for whenever you are dealing with primers.

In 30 years, I have never accidentally set off a primer (even though I have crushed a few sideways in the primer pocket and then decapped them), but all it takes is one small piece of schrapnel or burning primer material in the wrong place.

You have received a lot of good advice here. Great stuff, guys.

Good shooting, don't neglect the education of your young shooters (start with the wife) and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep.