THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Cleaning "skunky build-up" out of primer pockets...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning "skunky build-up" out of primer pockets...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I should know this, but I'm going through and really taking it to all of my brass to clean it up good and I noticed that they primer pockets have some black residue in them that hasn't come out with either a wet-clean or a tumble-clean.

unless their is an easy-way, I'm about to resort to pipe-cleaners and/or paper towells... and that doesn't sound fun...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love this place... thanks.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is definitely worthwhile getting a PP cleaner you can chuck in a drill!!

These have worked well for me.

http://www.midsouthshooterssup....asp?sku=00005041200

http://www.midsouthshooterssup....asp?sku=00005041201

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
It is definitely worthwhile getting a PP cleaner you can chuck in a drill!!

These have worked well for me.

http://www.midsouthshooterssup....asp?sku=00005041200

http://www.midsouthshooterssup....asp?sku=00005041201

- mike

That's what I do. Chuck it up and they're clean in no time.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a primer pocket uniformer from Sinclair International and chuck it into your elect. drill.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks again guys!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The various carbide primer pocket uniformers really work well for removing the crud.
Chuck in a battery powered drill and it cuts a new bottom to the primer pocket. Then after each firing it will cut the crud out again without removing brass.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Get a primer pocket uniformer from Sinclair International and chuck it into your elect. drill.
Bear in Fairbanks

I hate to be redundant here, but I too recommend the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer. It is cutting tool rather than just a scraper and will remove material for the first use. This removes the radius in the bottom of the primer pockets and cuts the bottom square for consistent primer seating and feel. But the best part is being able to chuck it in a drill and quickly cleaning out the carbon deposits on subsequent firings. I have used them for years on several thousand cases and they do not seem to have dulled a bit (carbide).

I've used the RCBS brush for a few years before I got the Sinclair tools, but I;d much rather use the latter.

Whichever you choose, good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Bear in Fairbanks

I'd give this suggestion a Gold Star. thumb patriot It is exactly what I use. The nice things about it are:

- It fits perfectly in a standard Jacobs Chuck.

- It can't cut too deep.

- It is fast and easy to operate.

- You end up not only with clean primer pockets, but ones exactly uniform in depth, which gives more uniform primer seating in your future reloads.

- For pretty much ever after, you can remove the uniformer from the drill, and just twirl it in your fingers a twist or two in the primer pockets and they will be very nicely cleaned.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the most time saving tool you could get for the reloading bench is the RCBS CASE PREP CENTER. It has powered primer pocket brushes, a place for a primer pocket uniformer and also deburrs the inside and outside of the case neck. I took out the inside neck bush and put in a "military crip remover" at one station also. All those chores at your fingertips and fast! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lyman primer pocket,reamer depth cutter fits the rcbs tool it's nice for initial prep and for cleaning the gunk back out.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about cleaning the crud out of primer pockets then the only way to go is ultrasonic cleaning. This also cleans the crud from the inside of the case. Amazing how much black stuff ultrasonic cleaning gets out of brass that just came out "clean" from a vibratory polisher/tumbler.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This also cleans the crud from the inside of the case.

I use cheap, dollar-store cooking spray for case lube, then a vigorous hot water bath with a goodly amount of dish detergent to clean the stuff off. I get lots of black water pretty quick with this method. The longer the cases soak, the blacker the water...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that a good hot water/detergent wash removes alot of dirt and fouling and that is what I used to use. Ultrasonic cleaning is way beyond that removing even the"burn" marks from the primer pocket. I don't bother to clean all my cases with it, just "the special ones". Check out 6mmbr.com for an article on this process.
I personally have not had much success using cooking spray as a case lube but perhaps the formula is different downunder.