New
Find
Notify
Tools

150gr vs 165gr
 Login/Join

<Nocked>
posted
Whats the better choice for Michigan whitetails and why?

The gun....Swiss K31 w/scoutmount, 2x scope.

Handloads...

41gr H4895 150gr Hornady Interlock SP (maybe 2500fps)

41gr H4895 165gr Hornady Interlock SP (maybe 2450fps)

I'm getting almost identical 1" groups at 100 yards with both these loads! I know the 150gr is a great deer bullet but what about the 165gr? All my shots are within 150 yards and 90% are within 50. Is the 165gr a slower expanding bullet?

<Nocked>
posted
BTW...These are .308 bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite on this--not much difference. The Jacket on the 2 bullets will be the same. It's unlikely that you will "run out of bullet" as it passes through the vitals. I guess to be safe I'd take the heavier bullet. BUT--a miss in the vitals with either and you're in trouble--a hit and you're all set. 165 may have a little more bullet left if you hit bone though.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nocked,
Neither you nor the deer will notice any difference. I like 165's in my 30-06 because my rifle prefers them to 150's. If they both shoot equally well then flip a coin and go hunting.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<BarryH>
posted
Virtually no difference in performance, esp. at those types of velocities. Close your eyes & pick one [Wink]

Barry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer in northern Michigan with both the 165 from the 06 and the 150 from a 308. The deer never knew the difference and bullet performance was about the same. Use which ever is the most accurate and go collect some venision.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote