Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Press
 Login/Join

posted
Since starting, I have used a secondhand RCBS press for my reloading and have been very pleased with it. I'm not sure which model it is other than it is stamped "RS", is cast and lacks "compound leverage"..Quality wise it seems midway between the Rockchucker and the Partner currently offered.
Anyway, I like to buy a new press and keep my
existing one as a "spare".

So what would be a suitable upgrade?? I'm
not looking at shooting BR but want something of good quality which will turn out decent
hunting ammo. I was going to buy a Rockchucker but also like the look of the Lyman Crusher11. Also what about Redding, are they worth looking at??

Thanks,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete/ I have been using a Rockchucker for years and it still works well and remains tight aand straight, If I were going to upgrade? past a rockchucker it would be for a Redding Ultramag,$200, or a Bonanza Co-Ax with the slip in/out die feature, for normal hunting and rifle use the Rockchucker is cheaper and you could put the extra money into micrometer and straightline seating dies if you don't have them, these bigger presses are fantastic but mainly for heavy reforming and similar press straining tasks,imo,it is hard to beat RCBS quality and warranty for the price, the reloading manufactures in general are a fantastic group of people and its hard to go wrong with any of the established firms, Midway USA carries most of the brands and is also nice to deal with, good luck and good shooting/loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
The Rockchucker is good and strong press, very good value for money. I just bought another (1450 SEK, very good price with the US$ where it is).

The Co-Ax is great too, but expensive and has problems with some dies (longer ones) because of the design of the handle - longer BR-type dies won't fit in the yoke. Redding's Boss press seems good and sturdy, with a price tag most can agree with. The UltraMag is the biggest f-ing thing I've seen, I can't imagine flex in it... Lyman's Crusher II seems strong enough for most things too, but the one I've seen had a bit of flex in the ram.

Lee's presses aren't a good coice for an all-in-one press, they're too weak for heavier jobs. My Challenger does service as a decapper only ever since I formed some .30-06 cases into 6.5x55...

-- Mats

[This message has been edited by Mats (edited 05-04-2001).]

<Shotone>
posted
The Rockchucker is a great press. I've been using mine continuously for 18 years. I've just started reloading for my .338 RUM and find that I could use some more room. Once the brass is in the shellholder, I have to feed the bullet up into the seating die and then lower into the case neck. Takes a little extra time to do it. I'm thinking about getting the Lyman Orange Crusher because it has a one inch larger opening. I just have to decide if the expense of the extra press is worth the added convenience.

<Don G>
posted
Shotone,

From another thread.

"The 375HH/416RM/458Lott length cartridges will fit in the rockchucker, but when preparing to seat the bullet you must set the bullet on top of the case, tilt the case and start the bullet into the bottom of the die, then slide the base of the cartridge into the shell holder. It's not hard at all."

Seems easier to me than putting the case in the holder first.

Don

<Shotone>
posted
Don G,

Thanks for the tip. I'm getting ready to do some loading this afternoon, so I'll try it out.

Thanks.

<Roundbutt>
posted
I love my Pacific Lock n Load