New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal Clays
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use Universal clays for 9mm and or .45 ACP? I have been using unique for both calibers with lead bullets with good accuracy but it is pretty dirty. Hodgdon shows Universal for both and it claims to be a clean burner. These are for practice only but I don't load light because I like to get accustomed to the recoil of each gun.

I welcome anyone's suggestions to a powder change but I would like to use one powder for both calibers.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i load universal for 45 acp. it is ok. i like regular clays more than universal. use both powders for 45 acp and 38 special. can get those powders cheaper than 231 around here. i really like AA2 and AA5, but they are pricey.

all i shoot is cast. universal is not the best metering powder in the world for me. clays seems to do better in my redding powder measure.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that Universal clays may be substituded for Unique. I have never tried it
and wouls do more checking first.
good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't know how helpful this will be but...

Just started reloading my Glock 19 with Universal Clays and 124 grain FMJ and Hornady XTP bullets for practice loads.

I'm loading light because of the Glock's unsupported chamber and because I just want to put holes in paper. That said, so far here's what I've gotten:

FMJ (124gr) - 4.0 to 4.5 gr = 1016 to 1077 fps
Groups between 3-4" at 10 yards

XTP (124gr) - 4.0 to 4.5 gr = 1015 to 1100fps
Groups between 3-4" at 10 yards

I haven't noticed any issues with excessive fouling. The gun is no dirtier after 50 rounds of homemade versus 50 rounds of Winchester super x or Remington's UMC.

Hope it helps.

that which doesn't kill me is only postponing the inevitable...

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks USMC-1812 I think I will give it a try when I need powder.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like ti better in the 9mm & 40 than the 45acp. It leaves unbrunt powder in the 45acp unless running at the top end.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Auto Comp powder?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite