New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag and rl23
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello everyone. i picked up 8 lbs of RL23 a few weeks back and just getting around to loading some up. I started off at 74 gn rl23 under 180 Sierra Game Kings and 20K off the lands. I loaded 3 rounds each in half Gn increments up to 76.5gn. I will be shooting them at 100 yds off a lead sled. I know, im a wuss in my 48 yrs of age lol. Just want to take as much human error out of the equation as possible Smiler Has anyone else done this with the 300 win mag yet and what was the outcome? i want to use this powder in my 30/06 as well but i find no load data at all for it yet. Will let everyone know how it went this weekend.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently moved away from RL powders because their latest book and listings on the web are amazingly different. If your using a book I might look at their web site for latest info. For the record I was using RL22 in a 300 WM 175 gn Berger.

Posts: 5 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 01 August 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a pound of this myself. I am going to use it with 182 Etips. I wasn't quick enough to buy some R22 last week but at 32.95 I didn't mind missing it. Today I saw the R23 for 22.99 at a different store so figured I would give it a try.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, i only found any load data at all off of Alliants website for the 300WM. they didnt list the sierra GK 180's but do list speer and nosler, speer at 77.2 and nosler at 76.7 iirc. so given that and starting off a bit lower, not the full 10% my goal is to chrono and see if any accuracy and watch for any hint of pressure before i get too far into it. i did some poking around today and some comparisons and noted that compared to RL22 and the few cartridges they do show for the RL23, they averaged around 2.2 GN lower for max loads using RL23 compared to RL22. I really hope to see this weekend and will report back what i find. im hoping i find a decent more available powder on the cheaper side and still have decent groups. We all know the pain of the crazy prices and availability of our favorite powders!

RMiller, that is exactly why im hoping this powder is what they say it is and maybe we both will be decently happy Smiler

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I want to try R23 in my 25-06 even though I already have 4 good loads for it already.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
If you check the loads of any caliber in 10 different books, and that many internet suggestions, you will find a wide difference in suggested loads...Books and the internet are nothing more than a average suggestion based on a pressure gun or somebodys rifle, and every rifle is an inity unto its self...

There is no better powder than the RL powders, some are as good but none better..

You, as the reloader, have to determine where your rifles max load is, there is a pretty standard means by which one does this, but you as a reloader should know where each rifle you own max load is..That is the first thing I determine with any new rifle..I want to know where Its max load is with every load I intend to use in it..then I may or may not use that load, sometimes I back off a grain or two, wherever accuracy is..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote