Notify
Tools

Re: .375 loads for North America
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Quote:

I use the 300 grn BTSP by hornady in my 70 stainless and they shoot better than me (less than MOA). I have not shot any game with them yet but have every intention of useing them for elk this year.

Used them from my 378 WBY MAG at 3060 fps. I took an elk and he went 4 feet.....vertically!

As usual...stay away from Sierra!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have a great .375 H&H load for whitetails, blacktails, black bear and hogs. I have used Remington brass and have had no problems, don't know about Winchester brass. Lonnie Hummel at Hornady said the 225 grain Hornady spire point has the same jacket thickness as the 270 grain spire point. The only problem is the 225 grain may lack the penetration desired for brown bear up close. With the HUNTING load, trajectory is similar to a .308 with a 150 grain bullet.

.375 H&H Magnum
225 grain Hornady Spire Point
Remington brass
CCI 250 primers
67 grains H4895 START
70 grains H4895 HUNTING LOAD
74.8 grains H4895 MAXIMUM

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester brass is adequate and cheap. Have not used Remington. Yes that is a great price on the accubonds. I think I will pick up a box or two . The Hornadays are fine for what you are planning to use them on. You can often find factory seconds or cosmetic blems for very little money. I bought up a thousand 270 gr Hornaday SP and 500 RN for just that purpose a few years ago. Re 15 seems to be prime powder for the 270 gr bullet. For deer slow it down a bit. You will not need full throtle loads as you will just blood shoot a bunch of meat. I also have found that a 200 gr FN or RN bullet meant for the 375 winchester works very nicely for a low recoil deer and hog load. You can load it anywhere from 2000 to 2600 with good results and little recoil. It seems Sierra and Hornaday make a bullet in 200-225 weight that are sure enough for small southern whitetail. For the larger northern variety I would use the 260-270 gr. In BIG bear country I would use 300 gr SAF or Barnes just in case. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Where are you buying Accubonds for $15.95? Will you share your source?

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,
I had been shying away from such a light bullet. However if it's tried and true, then Im game to try it. What type of volisity are you getting with you load?

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I'm getting 2850 fps from my Winchester Classic Stainless. 225 grains may be light for a .375 H&H but it has the same sectional density as a 150 grain .308" with 50% more mass. This load hits about as hard as a 338 Winchester Magnum within 150 yards, hardly light for whitetails, blacktails and hogs.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote