THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which ballistic apps consider chronograph distance in MV calcs?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which ballistic apps consider chronograph distance in MV calcs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've noticed the the Ballistics AE seems to automatically adjust MV taking into account the supposed 10 feet distance to the chronograph from the muzzle.

But if you use the Magnetospeed, as I have been then you get a true "muzzle" velocity, which depending on the bullet and speed, seems to usually very by about 15fps.

Does anyone know of a way to provide this info to the apps like Shooter or Strelok?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
That 10 feet muzzle to chrono has much lower influence to calculations than for example that BC is not constant, but is speed dependent.

But yes, you can use for example "redneck" way:

Just try putting to ballistic software such muzzle velocity, that velocity in 10 feet is what you measured. And here you are.

I will never waste my time with anything like this.

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There is a simple calculator here: http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/calcs.asp

Use the Calculate Muzzle Velocity from Instrumental Velocity section.

You will see there is only an inconsequential difference in velocity in the first 10 feet. For example, using a measured velocity of 3200 fps, a ballistic coefficient of .350, and a distance of 3.3 yards (10 ft) to the muzzle you get 3203 fps. That's only 3 fps difference.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote