New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do!!!!!
 Login/Join

<jd_1>
posted
Hey guys, I am planning to build a short barreled (18"-22")moderate weight (8lb. max)rifle for walking my farm. I am looking for a round with low recoil and one I can find factory made brass for. I don't plan on using it on anything bigger than south eastern whitetail deer but mostly cyotes out to @ 300 yards or more. I considered a couple of wild cats but decided aginst it. I am looking at the 7mm BR wright now. I have 2 differen't actions I can build this rifle on. A ruger No.1 and a Rem. 700 short action. Any combination suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jd_1:
Hey guys, I am planning to build a short barreled (18"-22")moderate weight (8lb. max)rifle for walking my farm. I am looking for a round with low recoil and one I can find factory made brass for. I don't plan on using it on anything bigger than south eastern whitetail deer but mostly cyotes out to @ 300 yards or more. I considered a couple of wild cats but decided aginst it. I am looking at the 7mm BR wright now. I have 2 differen't actions I can build this rifle on. A ruger No.1 and a Rem. 700 short action. Any combination suggestions?

jd/ Unless you just want something different, sounds like the Remington 700 would make a great med weight 243, this will take the Whitetails well and work much better for the yotes at 300yds, lots of factory rounds and great bullets, the 6mm has much work on accuracy in varmitt bullets and the brass is good and available not fancy but very available and accurate in the guns that I shoot, good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
Thanks for the reply. Yes I would like to have something a little different. I already have a 7mm STW and a .280 rem in the 7mm's. I thought it would be nice to have another 7 as I favor them.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Truck gun in 7 mm? That fairly spells Handi Rifle in 7 mm Mauser, doesn't it? Dutch.

------------------
For evil to prosper, good men must do nothing. (Burke)

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
7-08 is what you're looking for!!! Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob338; a 7-08 in the bolt gun would be tough to beat. A 140gr BT works for deer and coyotes, and you'd only need the one load. You might even be able to build it to weigh less with a lightweight synthetic stock and a fixed 4x scope. Both brass and loaded ammo are widely available.
In the Ruger #1, I'd go with Dutch's suggestion of a 7x57. It's got relatively low recoil, and loaded hot, it comes mighty close to the .280. Brass and ammo are available.
The 7BR is a nifty little round, accurate with gentle recoil. If you go this route, please buy yourself 500 cases (probably a lifetime suppy) so that you won't have grief if Remington decides to discontinue manufacture.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Deadmarsh>
posted
I'd consider a .260 Remington in either an Encore TC or some quality light bolt...it would fill your specs perfectly -- accurate, low recoil, exceptional SD, and perfect in a single-shot...good luck

Dead

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with Dutch. A 7x57 is a wonderful cartridge and has proven itself over the last century. Possibly a Ruger #1, without the added length of the bolt action they can be extremely handy.
Steve

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 05-03-2001).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Ruger No. 1, you can have your cake and eat it too with a relatively short OAL, but longer barrel because of the shorter action. I'd look at a 7mmRemMag with 24" barrel on the No. 1. Go for a light contour barrel and you ought to have a really nice piece. Alternatively, go with a 300WM and a 22" barrel. (The slightly larger bore will make up for the loss of barrel length.) Ku-dude

<Reloader66>
posted
Use the Remington action chambered in the very accurate 7MM-08 cartridge. That will fill all your wants.

<Reloader66>
posted
Forgot to mention perfect barrel length for your cartridge is 21 3/4" The result will be a tack driver in the 7MM-08

one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't talk about your budget but I can tell you from experience that Lex Webernek, Rifles Inc. can put you together a very light, exceptionally well balanced and accurate package. His specialty is lightweight guns such as you are looking for. I think he could get it down to the 5 lb range. You can expect about 2k using your action. By the way my vote also goes to the 7-08. Great cartridge. Good Hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
How about the 260, or the 7mm-08. Let us know what you decide on. Either action is great!

------------------
"If guns are outlawed...only outlaws will have guns!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I shoot the 7 BR in metalic silhouette competition. It's a great little cartridge with mild recoil and exceptional accuracy.
However, the trajectories don't really lend it to shooting coyotes @ 300 yds.

I would opt for a 260 Rem or a 257 Roberts or maybe even a 250 Savage. (The 257 won't work well in the short 700 action) If you are sold on 7 MM the 7 International might be a neat choice but you would have to form the brass from 250 or 300 Savage.

I personally don't like 6 MMs for deer hunting, which I'm sure will start a huge debate!!!

<1Swede>
posted
I have a 7mmBR in a lone eagle with a 14" barrel. I can cover all three holes at 100 yds with a quarter. I use it for antelope hunting but limit my shots to 100 yds. The 7mmBR is basically a cut down .308. So I agree with Mike M, with the reduced case capacity it is not a 300 yd cartridge.

<10point>
posted

I say .308 win. You can atill build a compact package and you have a round a bit more versatile then the 7's.

Tho a 7mm-08, or 7X57, would be wonderful also......10

<JOHAN>
posted

If you want a handy rifle that can do alot of things i would go for a 7-08 Imp with 100-140 grain bullets with a 20-22 inch barrel.
If not pick a 243 or 250-3000, standard or Imp.

You will get 3000 fps with 140 grainers from a 20 inch barrel. The red bearded burglar from SC, Kenny Jarrett has a concept like this called "Walk about" rifle. I would have built the rifle on the 700 action.

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Ruger #1 is too heavy for walking around rifle.

Consider bolt action 250 savage or 250 ackley imporved?

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never understood this desire for short barrels just because you're walking. Unless you're really short 24" is perfectly manageable doesn't add a whole lot of weight but does put weight where it helps ie in the barrel where it will help steady your aim.

I'm amazed no one has said 25-06 in the ruger no 1.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 BDL in 6mm Rem that fits what your looking for with the 55gr Nosler BT zips along at 4000 fps from a 22" barrel. Loaded with 100gr.Hornady's I have never lost a deer or pig. The problem with the 6mm and 243 is most people don't use enough bullet for deer. For coyotes they are devastating out to 400 yds.Good shooting with whatever you choose.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this is going to draw some fire but I suspect you will only use it infrequently on deer so let me suggest something like a .22/250 AI with a quick twist barrel that will allow you to shoot heavy premium .224 bullets. They will range way out there on coyotes, and will take care of long range shooting on deer with careful placement. The key is you must shoot the long heavy bullets.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<robbnsc>
posted
IMHO, I would go for the #1 with a 22/23" bbl in .257 Roberts with 100 Gr Nosler B-Tip, 45.5 grains of IMR4350. That should fill the bill for a combination coyote/smallish deer rifle par-excellance!

one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 should fill the bill. Use the 700 action. Buy a good trigger and barrel.
You would have the advantage of using the bullets from your other two 7mm's. But a big scope on it for the long shots.

Posts: 26 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
This old hunter and target shooter finds that answer to be easy. 7MM-08 is the ticket
If you want deadly accuracy and mild recoil the 7MM-08 is one of the very best mid range deer cartridges you can own.

<jd_1>
posted
1894, The reason I want a short barrel is for when I spot cyotes from my truck whlie patroling my farm and also because my wife occasionally hunts with me and she has fell in love with the Remington modle 7.

Anyway guys, I have decided to go with the .260 remington Imp. with a 21" stainless semi-heavy but contoured barrel with a shortened and inletted synthetic stock. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it back from Hart Barrels Inc.