THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Benchrest Seating dies any good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted
Just thought I would ask for some input before dropping 5 bills on 3 dies, 22hornet, 223 and 25-06AI, or is there something better out there?
Tryied Foredter but do not make one for the 25-06AI

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5 yikes....
Either brand should do well. I have used more Forster than Redding though I have bought them all used. They don't all have to be the same brand. The standard Forster BR seater die is less expensive but does not have the micrometer.
The Forster sleeves in the BR or the Ultra seater are not heat treated so you could have a BR gunsmith rechamber the .25-06 die to the AI version.
I also like the Wilson inline seaters used with a small arbor press.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Benchrest" dies do not necessarily guarantee benchrest accuracy.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Competition Seater is about as good a seater as you are going to get, unless you are willing to pay for a custom die, or use inline seaters (with arbor press).

However, I agree with ireload2, for the $$$ the Forster seaters are probably better value. There is a rumour that the Redding seater design was copied from the Foster, once the patent on that die ran out. True or not, I don't know.

Apart from finish, the Forster seater is as good as the Redding for less $$$. With the Forster, you also get to choose whether the micrometer adjustment option is worth it to you. If not, you can save a little more by buying the regular (as opposed to the "Ultra") Forster seater. Other than being easier to adjust for varying seating depth, the two dies are identical.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I got hooked on the Redding dies when they made my dies for 375 Whelen, 20 years ago.
I've got the Redding bench rest seaters for 308 and 30-06 and think they are great.
Personally I don't woory about cost since I'll only buy they once, so I get the best I can afford.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the Forster seating dies and use them in 308 and 338 lapua. Redding is a step above RCBS, heck I think Lee is a step above RCBS.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't particularly like Redding dies, have had a bit of trouble with some of their seating dies, and Redding's attitude about it sucked.

Having said that, I have about every seating die you can try, and I FAR prefer the Redding Benchrest Micrometer Seating die.

I like the Forsters OK, but the Reddings are easier to read for sure, and seem smoother to me.

JME--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Redding Competition Seaters, one in 338 win mag and one in 280AI

They are great seating dies and variance in seating depth is minimal or none and I have not seen any introduced runout.

However, I much prefer a RCBS Gold Medal Match Seater, I have one in 300 win mag

or even the RCBS Competion Seater of which I have 5

The RCBS Gold Medal Match or Competition Seaters also seat to the same place each time and do not add runout but they have the added advantage of loading the bullet through the side. Once you try that you will want more. The side load lines your bullet up with a floating collet before you ever raise the case up and it goes in straight from the very beginning.

I agree the regular RCBS seaters are crap but the ones I'm talking about are outstanding.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins4x4:
Just thought I would ask for some input before dropping 5 bills on 3 dies, 22hornet, 223 and 25-06AI, or is there something better out there?
Tryied Foredter but do not make one for the 25-06AI

I have used a lot of Forster dies and a number of Reddings as well. I have no doubt that the Reddings are as good as Forster's. Maybe even a little better? Can't really choose much between them, but they are way ahead of most others I've tried over the years....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote