22 K Hornet Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone reloading? looking for some extra data for 45g and 40g bullets

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 40gr Vmax bullets and H110 or LilGun, both work well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had really good results with 13.5 Gr of WW296 and the 40 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. 3/4" at 100 Yards

I also shoot the same load with the Barnes Lead Free 30 Grain Varmint Grenade "Hornet" with good results

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
I have had really good results with 13.5 Gr of WW296 and the 40 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. 3/4" at 100 Yards

I also shoot the same load with the Barnes Lead Free 30 Grain Varmint Grenade "Hornet" with good results

I know it's different in every rifle but what OAL are you using with the 40gr Nosler BT?
Thanks

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
45 grain Hornady Hornet bullet with 12 grains of LilGun powder. Chronographs about 3,000 fps.

Be aware that LilGun apparently varies significantly from lot to lot. I have one lot of LilGun which generates highly excessive shot-to-shot velocity variations. A second lot of LilGun has proven much more consistent.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:

I know it's different in every rifle but what OAL are you using with the 40gr Nosler BT?
Thanks

My notes say 1.889" and Choreographed at 3450 fps, I would not expect that velocity from other rifles, my barrel is 30" long so it has lots of time to burn that powder

I don't load from the magazine I single load them, they are too long to load from the magazine.

I seat the Barnes bullets deeper and can load them from the Magazine, I have not Choreographed them yet.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote