New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL25 Equivalence??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sadly, I can no longer get Alliant powders here in Switzerland. There is no separate import of RL powders, and the combined imports of Alliant and Hodgdon powders seem to have ceased Frowner.

I'd like to try out some RL25, but not being able to source any, I was wondering about possible equivalents?? Most RL powders come out of the Bofors factory, and there is a long established equivalence between some of the RL and Norma powders. E.g. RL22 ~ Norma MRP - not the same powder but equivalent in the sense, that working up from below it is likely the same data may be used.

Does anybody know if RL25 might be equivalent to Norma MRP-2??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you look at this chart mrp2 andRl25 are next to each other. http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp
But when you go to each powders site and check loads for some magnums the max loads are several grains apart with Mrp2 being several grains higher.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:

Does anybody know if RL25 might be equivalent to Norma MRP-2??

- mike

Rel 25 is "Slightly" slower than MRP, depending on lot number.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Yes, MRP-2 is very similar to RL25 in burn rate... One can NOT be substituted for the other in load information however... I know that RL25 is a double based powder but I'm not sure if MRP or MRP-2 are single or double...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I decided to shell out the $$$ for a can of MRP-2. We shall see how it pans out.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've never shipped anything overseas, and I have no idea what the shipping and hazmat fees would be but I have several pounds of Re25.

I could ship you a few, say, 3-4 pounds?

Just an offer, you'd have to consider the price.

PM me if you wish.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I wish we could do that, but in these post-9-11 days, I stay away from shipping anything (from the US in particular) which might set off a bomb alarm.

In the happy days of old, I mailed and checked propellant as airtravel luggage, and nobody batted an eyelash - although I probably bent rules just a wee bit... These days, I stay away from it (as best I can).

It was a really kind offer, but given the situation as described above, and given that the US would probably not strictly allow an export without permit, it is probably best if we refrain.

Darn, why is the rest of the World so under developed and over priced when it comes to shooting and reloading?? Frowner

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beerGo to ADI Powder(land of Oz) web sight(http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/index.asp) and bring up their POWDER EQUIVALENT page. It showes your best bet for an equivalent in that part of the world would be Vihtavuori 24N41. ADI makes most of the Hodgdon powder so AR2208 is Vargent and so on. Check ADI's data and Hodgdon's and across the board they are the same load, pressure, and exact same FPS. We spent two weeks driving around Switzerland and yes I know what those grillworks on the roads going in and out Switzerland are all about.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote