New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer pocket depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reamed my pockets to a depth of .132 which is the max range according to the instructions. the primers are sticking out a hair (.0045 or something like that). Do I ream deeper until there flush or just below or what? They are cci200 LR primers. When I say ream I ment with a pocket uniformer.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I use a primer pocket uniformer on all of my rifle cases after firing once.
I use the same uniformer to clean the primer pockets there after.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what is the height of a primer?
.132" sure sounds like it deep enough.
what type of seater are you using?
the primer should be slightly below the out side edge of the pocket and seated all the way to the bottom of the pocket.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about feeling stupid! I measured the primer and its smaller then the primer pocket depth. Long story short,it's a hornady LnL press. The shell plate was loose. It works now . What do you exspect from a newbie! Thanks anyway.

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AS64:
Talk about feeling stupid! I measured the primer and its smaller then the primer pocket depth. Long story short,it's a hornady LnL press. The shell plate was loose. It works now . What do you exspect from a newbie! Thanks anyway.

Try a hand priming tool. Priming in a press is Neanderthal.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I switched over to hand tool on the primers. Using the Sinclair Priming Tool lets you feel the primer being seated and it doesn't take very long to reprime all your cases.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As was mentioned above - get a hand held priming tool. Also, I'd advise that you get the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer if you're gonna do any work on the pockets. It fits in an electric drill and is fast. Lots easier than any of the hand operated units.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAAMI specifications on primers and primer pockets per "Sinclair International's Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook" 10th edition 1999

......................Depth min max diameter min max
small rifle primer pocket .117 .123 .1730 .1745
small pistol primer pocket .117 .123 .1730 .1745
Large rifle primer pocket .125" .132" .2085 .2100
Large pistol primer pocket .117 .123 .2085 .2100

.......................Height min max Diameter min max
Small rifle primers .115 .125 .1745 .1765
small pistol primers .115 .125 .1745 .1765
large rifle primers .123" .133" .2105 .2130
large pistol primers .115 .125 .2100 .2120"

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

..... A [/color] ....... B ....... C