THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 1200 or RCBS ChargeMaster system???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Need to take the dive and procure one of the electronic powder dispensers -- I already have a good electronic scale so am leaning to buy the Lyman system as I have heard good things about that product -- any comments before I go lay down the green would be appreciated.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own and very much like the RCBS unit. I have never used the Lyman product.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 1200. It works great and is very accurate. It has been said that the RCBS is a much faster unit. I installed a "Speed Upgrade Kit" and my dump times were cut in half. I believe that my Lyman is now as fast if not faster than the RCBS.
I have read good things and bad about both units. My Lyman has been going strong for almost three years now without a problem. I would call it a "toss-up". RCBS does have some outstanding customer service. How that applies to their electronics I can't say.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 different Lyman 1200's. Both gave funky readings while I was talking on my cell phone, apparantly the electronics aren't properly sheilded. I gave that one back to a freind and bought another one. The second one worked for about 2 weeks and quit working altogether.
I then bought the RCBS Chargemaster and have used it for 2 years with zero problems. It's a little faster than the Lyman. The RCBS is MUCH easier to change powders with.
In my experience it's a no-brainer choice - Buy the RCBS..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have owned both and would guess my Lyman was a DPS-2. My RCBS ChargeMaster is faster than the Lyman and easier to unload the unused powder. I don't know anything about the Lyman DPS-3 but, it could be a vast improvement over the DPS-2. The slowness of dumping charges, long warmup time and difficulty in unloading the unused powder is the reason I sold the Lyman and bought the RCBS, which, I'm very pleased with. Both are very accurate.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Lyman for the last two years and it died last night. I would not buy another one...long warmup time, shake rattle and roll to empty and change poweders and I would agree the electronics are at times unstable. Back to the balance scale.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the lyman DPS-2 and hate it....taking it back and getting the RCBS.

Posts: 4 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have the Chargemaster and love it. Fast, accurate and very fast start up, 30 seconds or so. I do use my dispenser though ,just for the 223, small charge and 500-1000 at a time. The RCBS will dispense and weigh powder as fast as you can set bullets.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have tried the Lyman and one other make I cannot remember.

Sadly, none of them was as fast as I can actually measure on an electronic scale, so I gave up on them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just did up 3 boxes of shells with the new RCBS chargemaster and I love it.

Posts: 4 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have never used the Lyman product I do have the New ChargMaster.
It is an excellent system. It is Fast Accurate and stable (will not drift much).
I also like the quick empty feature.

I have had mine in operation for about a year and I have never been happier with a product. I also owned the older system and this is MUCH better.

I would buy it again