Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 AAC83 brass issue
 Login/Join

posted
I came across a bunch of .223 brass with the head-stamp AAC83 last week. I didn't think any thing of it so I cleaned it up and I noticed that they were a little bit harder to deprime\resize than most of the other brass I have with the exception of Hornady. Well tonight I was going along just fine until on of the AAC83 brass was overly tough so just to make sure everything was ok I ran it up into the die a second time, well that is where my issue starts! I'm not sure if I didn't have the brass seated in the shell holder all the way or what, but as I brought the ram down for the second time the round remained in the die. The primer was removed and the shell holder was still attached to the ram, but the round was(is) still in the die. does anyone have any issues or experience with this brass or will I just have to get a "Stuck brass remover" and try to remove it.
If there is anyone that has had issues with this kind of brass I will toss the whole bunch of it and pick up some new. I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the round out of the die. The ejector lip looks pretty chewed up. UGH !!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Gateway to the west  | Registered: 20 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the one hand, sounds like you got some milsup brass that has crimped in primers. They are a little harder to punch out and you need a tool from Lyman or Lee to ream out the little flange at the top of the primer pocker before you reprime them. Most milsup brass is pretty good stuff but you do need to do the one time ream job.

On the second hand, you need a stuck case extractor. There are a couple of ways you can jury rig an extractor but the simplist way is to get the kit. And next time, use more lube.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And next time, use more lube.

That would be my first thought. Funny thing, 223 is the only brass I have stuck in the die in over 30 years of reloading.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have stuck one maybe two other than 223 cases in dies in over 30 years one a 308 and one a 12 ga shell in an old texan sizer.
get you a drill bit a 1/4x20 tap and a bolt.
drill out the primer pocket tap the hole.
put a socket over the case against the die body.
use the bolt and washer to screw into the case it will back it out of the die.
you need to make sure the primer punch is backed out of the way.
i usually screw the die upside down in my press to do this.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of NOTAHD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badboz:
I came across a bunch of .223 brass with the head-stamp AAC83 last week. I didn't think any thing of it so I cleaned it up and I noticed that they were a little bit harder to deprime\resize than most of the other brass I have with the exception of Hornady. Well tonight I was going along just fine until on of the AAC83 brass was overly tough so just to make sure everything was ok I ran it up into the die a second time, well that is where my issue starts! I'm not sure if I didn't have the brass seated in the shell holder all the way or what, but as I brought the ram down for the second time the round remained in the die. The primer was removed and the shell holder was still attached to the ram, but the round was(is) still in the die. does anyone have any issues or experience with this brass or will I just have to get a "Stuck brass remover" and try to remove it.
If there is anyone that has had issues with this kind of brass I will toss the whole bunch of it and pick up some new. I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the round out of the die. The ejector lip looks pretty chewed up. UGH !!!!

Sounds like the brass was from an AR. They chew up the cases a bit. After I knock out the primer on crimped cases I use a RCBS swedge die to resize the primer pocket. then I run them thru the tumbler and FL size them. I have found out that the Military CCI primers to do better in the 5.56 cases and CCI benchrest in the 223 cases. It seems that they military primers are thicker then reg small rifle primers and don't sink to deep in the 5.56 pocket. I reload for my AR, just have to watch that you seat the bullet deep enough so they don't hang in the mag and cycle ok. I shoot the heavier 62 grain bullets in the 24" AR. I can get 1000 rounds of MFS 62 gr soft points in metal cases for under $300.00 they shoot them well at 300 to 500 yard prairie dogs.