New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Interlock, SST, Interbond
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a guy come into the store today to buy some 7 RM Hornady SST ammmo.

They make three flavors: 139, 139 Moly, and 162.

I am going to assume the 139's I had were slightly older production because they did not say Interlock on them and the 162 did.

So the Heavier ammo read like this:
'7mm Rem Mag 162gr. SST'
'Interlock'

He asked me what Interlock meant,and for the life of me I could not give him an answer.
So, maybe you can! Whats it mean?

Also, on a slightly different note, does anyone know how Hornady makes their Interbond, and what exactly makes it 'bonded'?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
1) Premium Polymer Tip
The sharp point increases the SST’s™ ballistic coefficient, making it faster and flatter shooting. On impact, the tip also initiates controlled expansion at all velocities.

2) Secant Ogive, Boattail Spire Point Profile
It’s a simple fact: bullets that travel faster hit harder. The Hornady secant ogive, boattail spire point profile gives hunters the incredible speed and downrange energy they’re looking for.

3) The InterLockâ„¢ Ring
Ensures the core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, so the SSTâ„¢ retains the mass and energy needed for dramatic wound channels. Perfected in the famous Hornady InterLock hunting bullet.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Shopcart,

I'm no authority, but I believe "InterLoct" refers to their bread and butter bullet, which has a "triangular-shaped" ring around the inner surface of the bullet jacket, which "grasps" the lead core. In theory, this minimizes core separation.

The Interbond lacks this internal "ring." The idea here (I think) is that the bonding (which I have no idea how they do) alone is sufficient to minimize separation.

You can probably find a better explanation on their website:

http://www.hornady.com

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I believe all Hornady hunting bullets are now interloks. The term describes a ring of jacket material that circles the core about two thirds of the way down that aids in locking the core to the jacket preventing seperation during impact on game. They`ve used this method for quite some time now.
The interbond is a bullet similar to their SST but with a chemical bonding of the core and jacket in place of the inter loc ring. This is a much stronger bond and the bullet offers a higher retained wgt and hopefully deeper penatration then the std interloc.

For pics and more info check here.

http://www.hornady.com/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have not had good luck with the 139 gr in 7mm RM at close range. Maybe a great bullet but inside 100 yds. I won't use them. The 154 gr and above are great not matter what the range is.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote