New
Find
Notify
Tools

270Win/160gr.partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of years ago I loaded a box of 160gr. partitions for my 270Win to go bear hunting.Is this bullet too heavily constructed for Pennsylvania white tails? Comments please.

Posts: 32 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
The cool thing about Partitions is, they will expand well under almost any circumstance you might find yourself in. If you get a close shot, the bullet will expand out to the partition and no further not blowing up, and, if you get a longer shot the bullets relatively thin frontal jacket will still expand providing the bullets terminal velocity is around 2000 fps or higher. Some may have different thoughts on this but this is how I determine the maximum range of a particular rifle/load. However far out the bullet slows down to 2000 fps, that's as far as I would want to shoot with partitions.
Anyway, the .270gr Partition is an excellent bullet and it should be great for your purpose. The plus side is, being a 160gr bullet, it wont be going as fast as say a 130gr bullet so closer in shots will not destroy as much meat tissue as the faster 130 will. Its my prediction that any well placed shot on a whitetail will drop it in its tracks.

Good luck

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner uses the 160 gr Nosler for elk here in Oregon and it is one of the best. On a mule deer hunt a couple of years ago he shot his mulie buck with one of them. Broadside, double lung and a complete pass thru of course. The autopsy during field dressing and skinning showed good expantion and minimal bloodshot meat. We were pleasantly surprised and feel the bullet would actualy be a very good all around load for a .270 owner. Blacktail53

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 160 grain is my " to go to' bullet in any 270 I carry in the field. It will perform on deer down to 2000 fps and will do great on a big critter like an Elk.

I don't see how that could be a bad choice unless you game could eat you ( alaskan bears) or for prairie dogs, you might now impress anyone.

That is the best deer medicine in 270 caliber in my book.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 160 grain partition is the best shooting bullet I have found in my Ruger # 1A

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Steveno,

Sounds pretty good, better then I get in my 7x57 with 160 gr bullets, will definatey try it. Thanks for the help.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 180gr Nosler Partitions in my 300 RUM for PA Whitetail. Worked very well at 80yds last year and about 450yds the year before. You can't go wrong with a Partition. It's not a target bullet though, so don't expect tack driving accuracy from it. 3/4 MOA is achievable, but you may have to work with it.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Well, I used to use 56 grains of "old" H4831 with the 160-grain Nosler. This was the old style bullet, made on automatic screw machines with the relief groove cut over the partition section. I used 55.5 grains of IMR 4350 with the 130 grain NPJ, and 53.5 grains of IMR 4350 with the 150 grainer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can do is echo whats been said..I have use the 160 gr. on deer and elk and have seen it used extensively in So. Africa by Marius van Deventer with nothing but positive results...

Bottom line, no Nosler fails, some hunters just don't read what they see correctly....

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote