Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Chrony Software?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently got a Shooting Chrony chronograph, and it came with a demo disk of Chrony Ballistics I software. As best I can tell, this is a partial version of an old piece of software - I couldn't get it to take any more than 8 characters in a file name, for example.

I can "upgrade" this demo to Ballistics II software for "only US $34.95" and it's billed as a $64.95 value. Apparently I can get a cable to let me download data directly from the chronograh to the PC, and presumably this would feed into the software (I haven't gotten the cable yet, so don't know if it would work with this demo software.)

Has anybody bought this software - either directly or by upgrade of the demo? If so, did you think it was worth it? (I.e., do you still use it on a regular basis several months after purchase?) Is it a considerable improvement over the demo stuff, if you know? Or, is there better stuff out there, either free or reasonably priced? (I have found the Point Blank freeware.)

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Posts: 11 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I got the same software when I ordered my Gamma Master. It is a VERY old copy of the RCBS software. And basically it is useless.

When I told Chrony of this, their response was basically, "We don't care."

As for the cable, search the web, and you will find diagrams and schematics for making your own cable, total cost, around $3.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:

When I told Chrony of this, their response was basically, "We don't care.".

Steve!!!

That seems to be their canned response for customer service directly from India by why of Canada. I've owned three Chronys ( slow homerleaner). I shot the last one and got an Oehler. No problem with customer service there. Texian is easy to learn and understand after a short while. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BUT, you can't hook up the Oehler to your PC unless it's the M43.

Oehler Ballistic Explorer by Dexadine is top notch software. They even answered a question by e-mail on a Sunday.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I also have three Chronys...two F-1's and the Gamma Master. I have no complaints with the units, but the software sucks big time!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Steve - it's clear that the demo software that comes with the Chronys is worthless. Did you ever hazard the "upgrade" fee to try the Ballistic II version? Or know anyone who did? If so, is it any better?

I'm prepared to bet that it isn't an improvement, or else the people at Chrony can't read. I sent them an email asking whether upgrade had certain features (like long file names) and they just replied that the disk I got in the package was a demo and I could get a complete version for $34.95. So I assume the demo is about as good as it gets, but am just wondering if anybody knows for sure about the upgrade.

Posts: 11 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote