THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help- 3 die set expanding necks out of center.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im having a problem with my neck expander putting .010-.025" runout onto the necks in my .577 snider dies. It used to be fine but just recently I tried loading a bunch of ammo and all the necks came out off center, some were so bad that they wouldn't chamber. Does anyone have any ideas on getting it back on? I've tried adjusting the locking ring to get the die in a different orientation but it didnt seem to work.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen dies that big. Is it possible that it got bent during decapping?? Can you pull the expander and put it onto a dial indicator type thing. Other than that I constantly fiddle with my expander spindles till they are centered. On spindles that are "clamped" into place like lee or hornady I find it helpfull to put a case up into the die to center the expander as I tighten it--to kind of hold it in place. On spindles that screw into the die I often find that by making small turns on the expander--maybe 1/32 of a turn and all of a sudden the expander will center. It's pretty simple--if you take out the expander and your die makes straight ammo then somehow your have got to get the spindle centered better and the above are my methods. Good luck. Hope this helps a little.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they are 3 die sets so the expanding operation is done with a seperate die. I guess i'll keep fiddling with it to try and see if there's a spot where it is better.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced this problem. I think it is to do with the case offering more resistence to the expader on one side than the other, so naturally the expander follows the line of least resistence. Try neck annealling your cases.

The real cure though is simple. Your expander button should have a parallel section, that is a sliding fit inside the case neck, before the expander step. With this design the parallel section keeps the expander centered whilst it works on the case mouth.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion,

I thought it might be something with the neck tension becasue when I was using a different brand of brass before there didn't seem to be a problem.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not uncommon when expanding necks..Sometimes the expander ball needs to be a special tapered expander..but even then it can happen..so fireform the case and reload it, that will correct the off kelterness of the case

If not then you have a manufacturing problem I think

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion,

I thought it might be something with the neck tension becasue when I was using a different brand of brass before there didn't seem to be a problem.

Brett

Could the new brass be heavyer in the neck/wall area then the old brass?

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote