Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57mm Rimmed
 Login/Join

posted
Reloading Die question please...a current project it going to be chambered for the 7x57Rmm caliber.
On Midway's site they have 7x57mm Mauser reloading dies...same cartridge sans the Rimmed head..so can I can use the 7x57mm Mauser dies for my Norma rimmed brass? Online search doesn't turn up any 7x57Rmm die sets. I appreciate the help...thanks...larryd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, some years back I ran into a guy at a local range who had a drilling chambered in 7x57R. He told me that he loaded his own ammo and used plain old 7x57 dies. Don't remember if said anything about the shell holder he used. I bet a phone call to RCBS would get the definitve answer to your question.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iazza,

No problem here.

I have a set of RCBS 7X57R Dies and here in Europe Dies for Rimmed cartridges are appropriately marked with the "R" designation.

But you DO NOT require a "R" or Rimmed Die Set for reloading Rimmed and Rimless cartridges.

I use 6.5X57, 7X64 and 8X57IS RCBS Dies Sets to load the 6.5X57R, 7X65R and 8X57ISR cartidges - it's just a matter of using the correct shellholders for the Rimless/Rimmed cartridges and adjusting the Dies correctly to your press.

If I was in the States and confronted with the issue of specal ordering an EXPENSIVE set of specialty Rimmed Dies for loading cartridges like those mentioned above - I'd just pick up a set of vanilla-flavored, available everywhere, rimless Dies and be done with it.

There are though, cartridges where this inexpensive option isn't available, 9.3X74R as an example.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
7 x 57 (R) and 8 x 57 I(R)S - ok, but I am NOT sure about the 7 x 65 R: there IS a Millimeter difference, either in case shoulder lenght or in neck lenght to the 7 x 64 !!! And as BOTH are expensive, buy the correct one.

Use a shell holder for .303 Brit or the belted Magnum case head ( Lee # 5 or RCBS # 24 - that´s from memory, so please check! ) for the rimmed cases.

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info...an RCBS #7 Shellholder (.303 Brit, 30-40 Krag) and a 7x57mm Mauser FL RCBS FL die set are on the way...now I have a 60+ day wait for a 7x57R reamer I've ordered and I'll go bang!...thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Armenius.....

Correct; you are NOT sure - I am.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote