Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping brass shotshells
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Fellas, I am trying to think my way through a 12- or 20-bore Paradox project based on an inexpensive H&R with rifled shotgun slug barrel. Question is who makes a die for putting a decent crimp in the mouth of the all-brass shells? Because brass shotshells are larger inside than pper or plastic, it will take a good crimp over the shoulders of the conical slugs to ensure good compression and ignition with black powder loads. Did Graeme Wright address this in his book? Can't recall.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a lot of 16 ga brass shotshells and never had to crimp for a single shot. Crimping will eventually wear out your cases. Instead, get some oversize wads made especially for brass shells. Don't know where you can get them now-a-days and you may even have to make your own but they work.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cheechako: I realize that regular crimping, even with periodic annealing, will wear out case mouths. But I need to be able to crimp an 835-grain conical with a nose that sticks out of the case, and as the conical is .732 and the inside diameter of the Magtech brass cases is about .760, lube and a crimp is indicated for a good black powder burn. I'll use 11-gauge Circle Fly wads for the wad column beneath the slug though.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered contacting the companies that handle or make the brass shotgun hulls? I found several places that deal in these by running a search in www.dogpile.com.
I hope this helps,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You might try looking into some 50BMG brass. The cases are thicker and might come closer to the right dimensions. I turned the base down to the extractor groove, made a thick brass washer and silver soldered it on. Others have threaded the washer on. Then turn down in a lathe for the proper rim size. The BMG cases will be much stronger also.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck loading 10 ga brass using a stiff
over wad stuck in with elmers glue. Perhaps that could be adapted to hour problem.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've never fooled around with brass shells, but I am planning on doing something similar to what you are doing regarding shells with slugs. I know that brass shells can be roll crimped. If you have access to a lathe send me a PM and I'll figure out a drawing for you to make your own, it is not complicated. Alternatively you could make your own taper crimp die out of a section of 7/8" stock.

Mark

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Fellas, I am trying to think my way through a 12- or 20-bore Paradox project based on an inexpensive H&R with rifled shotgun slug barrel. Question is who makes a die for putting a decent crimp in the mouth of the all-brass shells? ...

Hey Bill, I saw you post a day or so ago and have been thinking about it. Hard to remember that far back, but a few Elders I had the privledge of hanging around the edges of in my youth had some Brass Cases for some of their shotguns. More of a novelity at that time in the `50s since folks were using Paper Shells.

However, I seem to recall one of them mentioning "sealing" the front of the Brass Cases with candle wax over the wad. I just can't see them clear enough in my memory to swear that they did not have any crimp on them, but for some reason I believe they were un-crimped. I feel sure they were not shooting slugs in them.

I also seem to remember the Brass Cases I saw being 10ga, but that could be Full-of-Beans, probably 12ga.

It seems that there are more Geese around here now days, but back then the Ducks were quite plentiful.

---

Anyway, if you are determined to put a Roll Crimp on them, it would be simple enough to make a "Funnel Shaped" punch and use it. You could either give it a few raps with a mallet (while keeping the Primer clear from striking anything), or chuck it up in a drill press and spin a Roll Crimp on it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of morton3
posted Hide Post
A fellow once turned up at the range with some brass 12g he had shortened to the appropriate seating depth. He then crimped the case to the slug as you would with pistol ammo.

I fear though, the crimping die he used was of his own manufacture.

The worst of this story is that he couldn`t hit the broad side of a barn with it, it was fun for him though. He suggested he would continue different slug types to obtain some sort of accuracy.

Good luck

Posts: 124 | Location: Newcastle Australia | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote