New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming .30-.30 brass into .38-55
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Hi fellas, would any of you know what charge i could use to fireform .30-.30 brass in my .38-55? I currently have H4198, xmr2015, h414 and h322. Would any of these powders work??

<PaulS>
posted
Win94,
H4198 in a near (95%) maximum load with any 30 caliber bullet should take your 30-30 to the new chamber just fine. My gunsmith introduced me to this method to form 358 from 308 because I was having trouble with uneven necks using the oversize expander. It works slick!

PaulS

<Win94>
posted
If i am reading your post correct, you want me to shoot a .30 caliber bullet in my .38-55 barrel which is .376"?? Won't i be bouncing the bullet all over in my barrel??

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
30-30 brass is a bit short, why not use Winchester new brass. I tried forming 32/40 brass from 30/30 and it was still too short

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a process to use about 10gn of a fast pistol powder, 700X, then fill the cases with cereal and a plug of wax on top, then shoot. The cereal will pack tight and press the case out to the chamber dimensions with haveing high pressures.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Lar has it right! Shoot Cream of Wheat, not .30 bullets!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have done it for years, with 10 grains of unquie and cream of weat filler, stand out side and point bbl up and fire,most i have to do after is a little trim work, but it will end up short, best bet is go to Star line and buy thier brass

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Is .30-30 brass tough enough to serve as .375 Win. brass??? Long enough???

RSY

[ 07-03-2003, 19:48: Message edited by: RSY ]

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
how loud is that cream of wheat load? Urban environment?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Waters in his Pet Loads book writes:
"We can make our own substitutes from either 30-30 or 32 special brass with the use of a step expander die from RCBS or with a small charge of pistol powder, I use 15 grains of Bullseye on top of which I place a wad of twisted paper towel and fire into the air. This fireforms the case out to the 38-55 profile but note carefully-NO bullet may be loaded over this charge!!
The resulting case is .070 shorter than a regular 38-55 case but will do no harm and delay the need for trimming."

I just bought 100 pcs of new Win. Brass from Midway, This should keep my Contender Bbl. shooting for along time.

Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote