New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone dowloading the 300 win mag??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a friend with a 300 win mag that says he's getting lots of meat damage with factory ammo. I got some brass and want to download him to 30-06 type level velocity. (most our shots here in Wis whitetail season are under 100yds). I'm kind of thinking of trying some 180's at about 2800 fps. I see some loads in different manuals that will easily do this.....anyone got one that's been fairly accurate??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ive had good luck with h4831. You might want to try a bullet that is well constructed, partition, grandslam, some of the bonded ones. they wont come apart and make such a mess.

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS--I didn't get any replies so I went to my nosler manual and picked some of their accurate loads that weren't full power

My test rounds wound up being.....
150 accubond under 56.0 RE12
165 interbond under 71 RE19
180 win power pt under 56.0 of I4320.

I've used 4320 before with good luck in 300 win mag. RE12 is a neat powder that has been great in accuracy in alot of different cases. Surprisingly this was the most accurate load in my manual for 300 win mag and 150 grain....who'd of thunk?? Kind of anxious for his results--most should be flying about 2700-2800--plenty good for our use.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Try a 220 grain roundnose at 2500 fps using IMR 4350. I used this load long ago and it was a dandy on whitetails and hogs. Little meat damage and it would penetrate a deer or hog lengthwise.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was seriously going to try some round nose then I put them on a ballistic calculator and man do they seem to drop off fast after about 250 yds. With the above loads if he sights in about 1.5-2" high at 100 he shouldn't have to aim over that back all the way to 300--just in case he gets the rare field shot. I'm kinda gonna call the 180 win power points I just got my "Semi round nose"...they look almost between a spitzer and a round nose!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try a 220 grain roundnose at 2500 fps.

I second that thought.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well like you said, you're gonna be shootin no more than a 100 yds anyway so who cares what velocity drop off a round nose has..
A RN bullet about 2500 fps would do very well under eastern whitetail conditions with that .300. Just keep in mind that no matter what bullet you choose to use, the faster the impact velocity, the more meat destruction.
I believe Winchester still loads a 220gr Silver-Tip in their .300 Win ammo? If so, that would be a solution in a pinch if you don't come up with anything in the mean time..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to stick with conventional bullets rather than premiums, here's what I'd advise.

To get the same bullet performance as a 30-06 with a 165gr bullet, the faster 300WinMag needs to use a 180gr bullet. You'll get better penetration on those tough shots, and less chance for bullet blow up on the shorter high impact velocity shots. I use W-W brass, Federal 215M primers, 75.5gr of Reloader 22, and 180gr Hornady Flat Base Interlocks seated to an overall length of 3.335" finished off with a very light crimp from Lee's Factory Crimp Die. Muzzle velocity averages right at 2905fps with very good accuracy from the 24" barrel of my rifle.

Since the 300 WinMag has plenty of ponies under the hood, why not take advantage of them with a little heavier bullet. That seems to make better sense than loading down. Although long shots may not be the norm, you never know when that once-in-a-lifetime buck will be standing at the edge of the rifle's performance envelope. I believe that's the best way to get where you're going.

Just my $.02.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. That's why I picked bonded bullets for the light ones and 180 for the conventional so our thinking is on the same track. Now I just hope one of the 3 loads is a shooter. Some guns respond best to certain weight bullets and I'm hoping one will be good.
Hunting is hunting and I think we'll have flexibility for close shooting and fairly long too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my favorite deer load for .300 Win Mag.

AA-3100 69.5 grains, Rem primer (not mag) and Nosler Partition 180 gr.

real nice medium load. accurate in my Model 70
Mostly one shot kills on deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you start using faster powders, then you use less in volume which will immediately reduce the recoil...

Almost any spitzer bullet, zeroed 3.5 inches high at 100yds, will be dead on at 200 yds with a MV of only 2200 to 2250 fps......

Recoil can be reduced 50% of better and still give you a 200 yd load ( about 235 with the drop after 200 yds)

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you dont like to waste all that meat, try to use a heavy bullet and moderately slow speed.

High speed and rapid expansion tends to destroy more than most ppl like.

I use A-Frame in both 300wm and 338wm, and Woodleigh SP in 375HH and after i reduced my loads our butcher was pleased Smiler that he didn't had to cut away so much meat.

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote