THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match Grade Quality on a Progressive press?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello All:

I am new to the forum here and fairly new to reloading. I currently have a Dillon XL650 which I use strictly for USPSA/IPSC stuff. (.40 S&W) I like that I can leave the machine alone for a long time then go out and load hundreds of rounds very quickly on short notice.

I am now seriously considering purchasing a separate press for loading rifle only. I would be loading .308 and .338 Win Mag. While the .338 would be meant almost exclusively for hunting, I'd still like to experiment with some higher-quality stuff and shoot in some thousand yard qualifiers. The .308 would be strictly match-grade/tactical.

I have been told that it is very difficult to load truly match grade ammo on a progressive press. I have also been told that the toolhead moves enough on the Dillon 550 that it can negatively affect the finished product. Others have told me that this is pure bunk and that you can produce minute-of-angle quality ammo on a Dillon 550. Is there anyone out there with real-world experience or knowledge on this issue? If so, could you please offer some insight and advice? I'd like to go with a Dillon 550 but I want to be sure that I can produce true match-grade ammo if I want/need to. Am I thinking right? Thank you for your help

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can reload awesome match ammunition on a progressive. David Tubb, arguably the best across the course high power shootier in history loads all his ammunition on an XL 650. Get a copy of his bookThe Rifle Shooter. It details his techniques. I reload my high power ammunition on a 650 and it works just fine.
I would offer an alternate method that I also use to very good effect. Get a Redding 7 station turrest press and a Harrels powder measure. It is relatively fast and you can load ammunition that will shoot as good as your rifle is capable of. You can get multiple heads for the Redding T-7. You can set each head up for two or three calibers. If you use very good quality brass that has been carefully prepped is is not unusual to get loaded rounds with .001" - .002" of runout.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS Welcome to the forums!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As lawndart says, high quality ammo is all in the case prep, not much in the loading. Uniform primer pockets, uniform flash holes, clean primer pockets each time, uniform case length etc. etc. You cannot just take stuff out of the tumbler and start reloading and expect match quality ammo.
just MHO.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Lots of discussion about not being able to produce quality match loads with the Dillon, but as mentioned earlier, Mr.Tubbs uses a Dillon as well as many others and that is a sure sign the Dillon Press is a winner in all respects.
There are certainly other presses on the market that will work as well, but the Dillon product offers so much versatility and customer back up that it is second to none. Also, would definitely second the motion to buy Mr.Tubbs fine book.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their input. I was not aware that David Tubb uses a Dillon 650. I strongly suspected that a Dillon 550 would be just fine for loading MOA capable ammo; especially if I do right by the brass. Thus far, I have not really heard from anyone with real-world experience who says that a Dillon progressive is a bad idea for MOA quality ammo. Based on the replies here and on other websites, I take it that I will have no problem manufacturing high-quality rifle ammo if I prep the cases correctly and use good dies.

All of you are correct about Dillon's flexibility and incredible customer service. In the short time that I have been using my 650 for pistol, I have had the opportunity to be thoroughly impressed with their product support and customer service. Truly second to none which is another big reason I want to go with a 550 for rifle applications.

Thank you all again for your input. Further input/commentary/advice is still wanted and appreciated.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
at the moment I think I am loading for something like 27 different calibers. I use the dillion 650 with no problem on match loads, but you do have to be a bit careful and slow down to make sure the powder drop in complete. Also unless you are loading a bunch of ammo it just takes me to long to change calibers and I go back to my old bonnanza coax. With that i mind, i wonuldn't hesitate to load 308 on the dillon, but for a 338 that you are probably only going to loard less than 100 rds at a time I would go back to my bonnanza

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What butchloc said.

The Bonanza Co-Ax loads very straight ammo.

One thing that will help with the Dillon is to use a Hornady Lock-n-load adapter and an RCBS powder measure. That will be twice as accurate as the Dillon measure. Don't use any powders coarser than H-4831 SC. The Vihtavouri powders meter well. The Dillon measure is good enough for ball powders.

lawndart

posted Hide Post
Would that still be a progressive setup or would I have to throw the powder myself? I don't know anything about the Hornady Lock n Load system or the RCBS powder measure so I guess what I mean is: Would the powder still be dropped by using only the press' main handle or would I have to stop and pull another separate lever?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is case activated, so it would be a truly progressive set up. The lock-n-load Case Activated Powder Drop, item #050065, works with Hornady powder measures as well as RCBS powder measures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bart Bobbitt Nov 29 1993, 6:15 pm rec.guns:

quote:
Jensen's Custom Ammunition (Tuscon, AZ) used two Dillon 1050s to make the
1992 Palma Match Ammunition. About 400,000 rounds were produced.

quote:
Heavy progressive reloaders have produced full-length size reloads
for short range (200 to 300 yards) that's almost as accurate as what ammo
prep'd on single-stage presses for the same ranges. Again, these are the
Dillon 1050s. This has been tried with the 550 and 650; didn't work.

Ken Marsh Feb 19 2004, 2:42 am rec.guns:

quote:
There was a good article in Precision Shooting a year or three ago, about
what it took to shim-up a Dillon 550 to get it up to benchrest press specs.
If you are serious about going this route, I would look it up.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote