New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass shortage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there some serious brass shortage out there? I am looking for brass in a number of calibers, including 22-250, and having a hard time finding much--and that includes with good supply sources like Midway, Shooters Supply, Natchez, etc. I would like to try some Federal brass but don't see it offered anywhere. Thanks for any recommendations you can give.

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not seem to note any shortage of 22-250 brass around here. On the other hand, I believe Federal has stopped selling brass as components. About the only way to get Federal brass these days is to buy factory ammo.

I just bought Winchester 270 Win and 30-06 brass last week, not a problem around here.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Everyone in the world is getting in on the oil company's racket of creating shortages, and having unverifiable foreign excuses, to justify ridiculous price increases....

just another 'Screw the Consumer to rack up bigger profits' scam....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Graf & Sons!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have bought some once fired brass on Gunbroker.com auction. There seemed to be quite a few listings of many calibers of brass (new and once fired). You might give it a try. Good Luck.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure Federal still makes bras for reloaders. If they do & the 22-250 brass is anything like their 308, I would pass & buy Lapua, Norma or Nosler in that order.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Everyone in the world is getting in on the oil company's racket of creating shortages, and having unverifiable foreign excuses, to justify ridiculous price increases....

I hate to rain on your parade, but oil companies don't set the price of oil. The price of oil (like any other commodity) is set by the market (simple supply vs demand). We are seeing an increase in oil price, because China and India are using more oil (increased demand) and the weak US dollar. In addition, we are running out of "cheap oil", we now are exploring in more hostile environments to find new sources of oil.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what's happening:

1. Copper (main component of brass) is in short supply due to the unprecedented -- but very recently ended -- residential building boom (plumbing and electrical wire), and due to demand in several countries with emerging industrial economies.

2. Uncle Sam has sprayed much of the Middle East and Southern Asia with small arms fire for going on six years now and military demand for ammunition (both for training and for combat theatre use) are at levels not seen since WW II.

3. Cartridge brass mills are working 24/7 to fill lucretive military contracts (while they are still available), therefore could give a flip about the much smaller civilian market, who they figure will still be there and hungry whenever they get around to turning out some brass for sporting ammunition.

4. Copper is bound to go down, and military contracts will eventually be filled and return to normal. When that happens, reloader brass will be both more available and less expensive. I can't tell you if that will happen this summer, in a year and a half, or next decade, but it will happen.

Of course, your Dollar probably won't be worth the paper it's printed on by then, so you'll still have a problem with the price of brass Big Grin.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep they tested the water like the oil companies did to see if a sustantial increase would deter people.Oil companies found out real quick that price fixing won't stop us from using a lot af fuel.

Posts: 39 | Location: Tuscola,Tx | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good info. I will try Graf and Gunbroker. One question that fredj338 makes me ask--is Norma really worth the much greater cost? How many times can it be reloaded?

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma,Lapua,Nosler is the best, guaranteed to be good for ten reloads. I'm on my fifth reload with factory federal brass. I like it. It's harder than the others so it's more likely to split but if you anneal the necks regularily it will last you along time. I have a couple pieces of norma brass and I have to trim the necks every time I reload. I haven't seen Lapua in 22-250 but for the price of norma brass I'd use federal/winchester/remington.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank China and India . and the more lost manufacturing jobs we give the Chinese the more missils they point at us what a great country the politicians cant sell it fast enough!!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a place in AZ called Brunos . They generally carry a fair supply of brass , I purchased a Bunch of various caliber stuff in Laupa from them a few years back . Prices were right then . Now I don't know judge for yourself . Best of Luck .

http://www.brunoshooters.com/

Philbilly ; They don't even need missiles now , they just open a couple more Wally Worlds and we Fund their country for them . Why kill the goose who lay the GOLDEN EGGS !.
But don't worry our politicians are going to save us ! , Just listen to them and know their lips are moving !. NOT a single one !, has any clue as to how to fix the REAL problem with our economy let alone the Country !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brassworldeshop.com/oncefiredbrass.aspx

OK time to get down in the trenches, go after the used brass if you can't find it new. Even many of my sources are showing up dry, so when you find something, buy a LOT of it, as it might not be available in the near future. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr k Hey you may be right for now dont kill the goose thats laying the golden eggbut----Once they own all the manufacturing and can set their own prices ? Once they cash in all the loans they have given our country? Once they have totally destroyed this country economicly then release the misseles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I forgot to mention the dream team of Hillary Billary and Obama they will fix everything right!! Ha Lets hop and pray they dont get in. It will be a miracle as the commie news media loves them and hates guns!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:

Philbilly ; They don't even need missiles now , they just open a couple more Wally Worlds and we Fund their country for them . Why kill the goose who lay the GOLDEN EGGS !.
But don't worry our politicians are going to save us ! , Just listen to them and know their lips are moving !. NOT a single one !, has any clue as to how to fix the REAL problem with our economy let alone the Country !.:

Normally don't do polotics but you're right on the money Doc. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:

I hate to rain on your parade, but oil companies don't set the price of oil. The price of oil (like any other commodity) is set by the market (simple supply vs demand). We are seeing an increase in oil price, because China and India are using more oil (increased demand) and the weak US dollar. In addition, we are running out of "cheap oil", we now are exploring in more hostile environments to find new sources of oil.

You must work for one of them big oil companies that are conspiring to rip-off the working man.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I checked 40 different sites for 375 H&H brass last week and the only place I could find any was here: http://www.dongsguns.com/Products.asp?cat=32

Nice people, reasonable prices and very reasonable shipping.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote