New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range report, Seafire Blue Dot tryout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I finally got a day at the range. Windy, but a headwind. About 44 degrees, but at least it didn't rain again.

I was firelapping a barrel today, and used a load interpreted from Seafire's load data for 270 Winchester. I was shooting a 270 WSM, and went with 24 grains of Blue Dot, which was what Seafire had listed as max in a 270 Win.

I didn't take my chronograph--I know, I know--what an idiot, but what I did learn was this. The recoil was very mild, NICE.......

The accuracy was unbelievable! I really need to chrono some of these loads now, I might hunt with them. I think the bullets in the Final Finish system are Sierra Match Kings, but I'm not sure. I will try and post a photo or two later, but the groups were all at or under 1/2" at 100 yards! Maybe it was just the confidence of hanging in there with the shot due to the mild recoil, but damn, I need to get a hunting load/bullet that will shoot like that.

As I mentioned it was windy too, mostly a headwind, but it was shifting a bit now and then, and I didn't compensate at all, just held center, and I was just amazed at the grouping.

As usual, after finishing the firelapping session and cleaning the barrel, I fired some rounds that I knew the performance level of, full charge Nosler Accubonds, and they averaged just at an inch, which they were maybe a 1.75" load previously. Also, as always for me, the barrel was just a snap to clean after the firelapping.

I don't know if it is a reasonable hunting load--I'm pretty sure it ain't, the bullets would be damned expensive, but I really wonder about hunting with Blue Dot and Final Finish bullets. Roll Eyes

I also shot my new switch barrel Sauer, both 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag. You Big Bore guys are nuts!!!! The 375 is OK--not enjoyable yet, but that 416 is rude! I only shot 10 rounds with it, I know--what a wuss, but I did have some other rifles to shoot, and I was going first with the switch barrel, and I didn't want to inflict a flinch.

I think I might try and sell the 416 Rem Mag barrel, I don't plan on going for elephant, and if I did with a 416, it would need to be a rifle with a better recoil pad, and though I don't like them cause of the noise, maybe a muzzle brake! Maybe I need to establish a blue dot load for it.

Regards--Don

Here are some pics of the range work.

The bottom left is 8 rounds of the Blue Dot load with the Final Finish bullets in 'grits' 1 & 2. The upper right hand corner is of rounds of the same Blue Dot load with the 1 of the #4 grit and 5 of the #5 grit Final Finish bullets. These were all at 100 yards.
The ones labeled 375 H&H were factory Nosler Partition loads @ 50 yards

These were the first loads I fed my rig after the firelapping session--130 gr. XXX's on top of 59.0 gr. of Win 760, WLRM primer.

This was 10 rounds of factory--Win Supreme 140 gr. Accubonds @ 200 yards.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh. The joys of a .416. I like to keep mine handy at the range. It's great for breaking up the monotony when somebody sets up beside me with an AR-15. Big Grin

Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Catmandu, I know that's right. Aside from the monotony if you don't have your cheek weld right, it might break your jaw!

The Sauer I have (like all of them) has a rather dominimus recoil pad, but I don't plan on changing it on this stock, so.... I wanted a 375 H&H for a planned future Browm Bear hunt, but I might build that in another rifle, this thing is sure beautiful, Turkish walnut stock and all, but I think rough going when after brown bear, and maybe that's the time for a brute instead of a beaut, as far as a rifle and a bear go!

Not serious about hunting with it, but the Blue Dot load is sure a nice way to go when firelapping though!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
The Big Bores take some getting used to, particularly off the bench. But how about doing a Blue Dot load for the 416Rem? I'm sure quite a few would be interested. Likewise the 375H&H. My 375H&H has a reduced load of AR2205 (H4227) using a 220gr that makes for easy practice.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
Glad to hear that the Blue Dot loads worked out for you... that Is normally the same emails I get back from those that have tried them...

As far as Blue Dot as a powder for hunting.. It works for me and a batch of others that have sent me emails about it... in calibers from 22.250s to 338 Mags...I have also used it in a 444 with great results....

The things one has to learn to do, is to keep your ideas of range down to the limits of the velocity....

At 24 grains of blue dot in a 270 Winchester, your velocity would be in the 2250 fps range....

With something like a ballistic tip or an accubond, a zero of 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, would put you dead on at 200 yds, and put you about 3.5 inches low at say 230 to 240 yds....

That will allow a shooter to put the cross hairs on fur of a deer out to about 240 yds and will hit the deer if the shooter holds steady....

A scope with a mildot reticle and some practice, one could probably stretch the envelope out as far as 350 yds...

I myself prefer the ballistic tips as the accuracy is there, but also the bullet opens up at some very low velocities.. and will actually penetrate better than a partition will when the partition is shot at much higher velocity....

If I could get my crummy little fingers on a 375 H&H, a 416 and a 458, I'd love to work up some Blue Dot loads for those calibers....I really don't have any use for the calibers in my lifetime... so I won't go out and purchase them since they are not exactly a cheap rifle...

My recommendation on the WSM tho is to set up some milk jugs at 100 yds and try some penetration testing with them full of water.. also try it at 200 yds....

Speer Mag tips also get honorable mention... as do a lot of hornady's bullets.....

Unfortunately Sierras seem to be too hard for lower velocities....

But in Georgia, I'd dare say, a Blue Dot loaded 270 WSM would be ready for about anything you would want to hunt in Georgia... unless you are shooting out there at 400 yds or so....

I have a 270 Winchester Model 70 with a Boss on it.. and a 20 grain load with a 130 grain Hornady SP.. practically has not recoil at all....

thanks for the update !

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, glad you caught the post and thanks for your reply. I am going to stick with my 375 and get it 'dialed in' but the 416 will see minimum range time for a while. I will have to find where my wife hid my camera, but I'll try and post some pictures of the Blue Dot/Final Finish groups, just great!

I am not real concerned about familiarity with the rifle platform that my 375 is based on, I have several in different calibers, so I shot the same rifle in different calibers often, so I might not mind not having a Blue Dot load for the 375, but I may try and communicate with you on the process anyway, if I decide to shoot it a bunch more than I currently intend. I've got to work up a go to load for hunting with it, a budy of mine and I are planning on a Brown Bear hunt next year, and the 375 is the minimum I wanted to go with. I appreciate the information--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Updated original post with pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't sell that 416! You may need it when you go to Africa. Easy killing African animals are long gone so you need a stomping gun!

Old time hunters like W.D.M. Bell who killed 23 buffalo with 23 shots from a Savage 22 high power using 80 grain bullets (He also bagged 25 lions and 16 leopards with the 22 High Power)ruined the African gene pool. Only the super duper hard killing leviathons are left. Work with that rifle!

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote