Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder left in chamber
 Login/Join

posted
I am having a problem reloading for an ar-15. I am loading 223 rem 40gr V-Max with 24.3gr Ramshot Tac, win cases, and win small rifle primers. The problem I am having is unburned powder in the chamber. After firing a couple cartridges, balls of powder get stuck in between the chamber and the brass. When the next shell is fired the stuck balls of powder cause small dents in the brass. I tried higher charges of Tac and the problem doesn't seem as bad. I can think of two possible reasons for my problem. One, I am firing these rounds in -10 to 15 F weather and two, there is not enough pressure generated with the small charge of Tac I am using. Just to point out, I am using the low charge of Tac to keep velocity down. Besides changing powder, would magnum primers help? Thanks

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
In all honesty i really have no idea on this, but I would bet that the extreme temp. is to blame. Magnums may help, couldnt see where they would hurt given that it is not a max load. I have never had the problem in hot ass alabama!

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It might be that your load is too light and that you are not getting enough pressure to make it burn completely.
Here is the loading guide for Ramshot powder http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

They say that the minimum load for a 40 grain bullet is 25.5 grains and the max load is 28.3 grains.

A magnum prmer would probably help but I think that your charge is to light.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I agree with fjold, i wanted to say that but did not want to spout ignorance as i have never used that powder. Some powders only ignite completely under healthy pressures, this maybe one. Good luck

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
A magnum prmer would probably help but I think that your charge is to light.

thumb+3. WinkMany powders I have played with result in insufficiant burn if the chamber Temperature along with the Pressure are not high enough. Light loading can and does produce the insufficient burn.BL-C-2 might give you the same effect. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies, I figured low pressure would cause an incomplete burn. The 24.3gr charge of Tac was taken from the hornady reloading book. I also called hornady and 24.3gr was suggested as a starting load. I have noticed with other loads I have tried that hornady always seems to suggests lower powder charges for min/max in general. I may try some Benchmark powder to see if I get a complete burn at the lower charge levels. I want to keep the velocity down to minimize pelt damage for coyotes. Most of my shots are under 150yds at night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the brass isn't expanding sufficiently when the powder is burning.

When ignition starts, expanding gasses actually balloon the cartridge case to act as a gasket. Thi seals everything forward of the chamber. Is the outside of the case mouth darkened? That will usually indicate a low pressure load that is not sealing the case in the chamber. This can cause pressure to go where it shouldn't and can cause dirt to accumulate in the action, chamber etc. Do the bullets you are using have a cannelure, and are you crimping the bullets? If not, just crimping the bullets in the brass may raise pressures enough to eliminate the powder issue.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Here's a trick I found out working with cast bullets.
I polished the neck expander down some where between a RCH and a gnat's eye lash. The idea being grip the bullet a bit tighter giving the powder a nano second more contained burn time.
I've found this to be successful in all cases so I polish down any new neck expander I get.
It' cheap and works.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you having any jamming problems with such a light load?

Typically the AR doesn't like to feed if the pressure isn't maintained at a certain level.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any jamming issues with the light load. Actually, I have never experienced jamming issues with any of my AR-15's. I even use David Tubb's increased power buffer spring.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornFor what you're trying to do a slightly reduced load of a faster burning powder seems apropriate. Accurate 2015, RL-7, and Accurate 2230 are but a few you might try. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not use magnum primers. I would check the twist rate of the barrel and probably go to a heavier bullet unless it's a really slow twist for an AR. I've shot various loads using heavier bullets in a 1/9 twist in mine with never a problem in all kinds of weather. The weight of the bullet will have something to do with the start pressure which will determine how the powder is going to burn. The twist rate is not in itself going to cause or cure the problem, but I'd guess that you might have a twist more suited to a typical AR bullet which would be most anything from 52 to 80 grains. The 40 gr. would probably be ok in a warmer temp, but you might even see better accuracy with the heavier bullets which also could be the cure for your partial burn. There are ARs out there with slow twists, but they are the exceptions rather than the rule in factory guns.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This particular AR-15 is a Stag M4 profile free-floated 16'' 1 in 9 twist barrel. The reason I went to 40gr V-max is because the 55gr Vmax I have been shooting put about a 3'' hole in coyote pelts. This gun can shoot the lighter bullets. I can get 40gr Vmax to shoot one ragged hole at 100yds using 25.1gr Tac. The 25.1gr Tac loads chrono around 2900 to 3000fps if I remember correcty. I will try some higher powder charges of Tac this weekend along with some benchmark loads to see if the problem goes away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also try crimping your rounds to raise pressure slightly without raising the powder charge.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you interested in attempting to blow-up yourself and/or your kids - seafire is the guy to get loads from.

For those of you who are not interested in Ka-Booms - stick with the Loads shown in the Manuals.

(I didn't even post an answer to the above thread/ question!)

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get involved in name calling between you two, but I have tried some blue-dot loads. I have loaded them up to 11.0gr 2400ft/s with the 40 gr V-max and they shoot great. I would use them to hunt, but I want the bolt to cycle so full power loads are needed. I am testing some loads tomorrow and will see if my problem is gone. The temp is supposed to be above 30, so I'm guessing all will be fine.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend reading ALL of Hot Core's rants against Blue Dot usage....

then notice how he offers his 2 cents against it without being asked...

then you can draw your own conclusions on who has any malicious intents...

I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat... but someone else chooses to ram his opinion down your throat....

you folks decide....

yoiu can pass on the use of this powder if you desire to do so...

and you can put someone on ignore who rams his unsolicited opinions down you throat...

Blue Dot is unsafe, if your reloading practices are hap-hazzard...

But for anoyone that loads pistol ammo, it is no precautions extra that you don't have to pay attention to daily...

Alliant and Lyman also post data about using powders in rifle cartridges, that have a much faster burn rate than Blue Dot....

If you are strictly a manual kind of guy, then stick to manual loads.. so you can point the fingure at someone else, if something screws up...

personally I think HOT Core stands on his soap box, to get attention...

I have never seen him accept the fact that someone may know more than he does, on ANY subject...guess that frosts his ego and he has to lash out...

Well if he wants to play 'chicken little', and be everybodies mother, all who want to listen to him can...

My take on it, is I feel sorry for him making such a public spectacle of himself.. but that is his business.. personally I don't care either way...

if anyone has had a bad experience that they can blame on Blue Dot loads, instead of just poor loading technique, then let them come forward...

beleive me, you'll be Hot Core's best buddy instantly.. he is starved for info about bad experiences, due to there not being any...

most folks who are handloaders on this board, use their heads and common sense more than Hot Core is giving them credit for...

if patterns remain the same... after Hot Core gives up on this crusade, stay tuned... he'll be ragging on someone else about something else

to the guys that are PMing me and giving me the kind words of support, I appreciate it... thumb

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote