Find
Notify
Tools

Re: SSTs not as strong as NBTs........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Floridabigfish, Sorry it's been so long.

He's not a bruiser but, He's pretty good for the piney woods in that area. My wife was in the stand w/ me so, it made it a pretty neat experience.

web page

web page

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive had good results with BT's and frankly am rather impressed with the way theyve held together, BUT! Ive been considering droping them to go back to plain vanilla hot cores or interlocks myself. The BT's do have a definate accuracy advantage, but it really is nothing of earthshattering consequence. Im kind of leaning toward the piece of mind of a proven commodity in that reguard thesedays because the possibility of splattering a polymer tipped BT does kind of make me nervous.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I gathered a little more data for the SSTs:

1)I took a hunter that bagged a 118" 8pt. that weighed +/- 180#. He shot the buck at 30 yards w/ a .308 loaded w/ 165 SSTs. The shot was broad sided, entrance was right behind the shoulder and exit was the size of a quarter on the opposite side. The buck made it around 10 yards w/ blood everywhere.

2) I shot a large doe sunday (jan 16th) at 50 yards w/ my 30-06 and the 150 SSTs @ 2950 MV. The bullet entered mid body behind the shoulder. The exit was half dollar sized and there was pieces of lung all over the ground at impact. We followed a sparse blood trail for about 40 yards into the dense brush and there she laid.

Conclusion:

After taking 4 animals and witnessing several more w/ these bullets, I believe they are well suited for the .308 velocities but, the 30-06 is pushing the envelope and the 300 WM is over the top. I say pushing the envelope on the 30-06 because the results varied to much from one kill to the next.

I believe the NBT is the best design of the two expansive plastic tipped bullets due to the thicker jacket and Solid Base platform.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I used them in .308win and had great succes taking three deer. Last year I tried them in a .270win. My first shoot hit the shoulder (my fault) and exploded like a varmint bullet! next shot hit in the ham area (animal was running) and blow half his a$$ off. The third and final shot went through the hart and was a merciful end to a very painful death for the animal. I just don't trust them to do the job after that
experince.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Thanks Reloader. Nice buck.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a deer this year with a 165 SST at 3200 fps in my 300 Win. The shot was 40 yards through the chest cavity. It worked for me. The buck ran 25 yards and dropped. The bullet went all the way through and left a 1.75" exit hole.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 130 grain SSTs in my 270 loaded light at about 2600 MV. I hit a 10 pointer at 25 yards a couple weeks back right behind the should and it angled out the opposite shoulder. He had at most a quarter size exit but his internals were jello. He travelled 20 yards before expiring mid-stride. The SST worked for me. There are so many variables that go into the "perfect bullet" argument that there isn't one. If you hit deer with any bullet and they travel at most 75 yards then you have a got a good thing. Deer are very tough creatures. I have seen them run 150 yards without heart or lungs in operation. It depends a lot on a deer's internal drive.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used them for the first time this year in my T/C Encore .308. I used the 150 grain factory load (just got a reloader, and am going to try them with reloading also). So far mine are shooting 3 shot groups of 7/8" with a plain jane Encore.

I took two deer with the SST's this year, a 8 pointer and a doe. The bullet did a great job on both.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 8 | Location: Christiansburg, VA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting thought in the comparison of the BT'S and SST'S. I dropped an SST while load some 6mm's the other night, and when I picked up the bullet, the red tip was gone! BT'S are constructed more stoutly, and IMHO hold together better. I have used them on elk in 35 Caliber, and have had + 90% weight retention. Also I find a "MARKED" advantage in accuracy for the BT'S.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, all of the BT's 8mm and above are made quite a bit stouter than the .30's and below. They have a heavier, thicker jacket for use on the larger stuff like elk and moose.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote