Find
Notify
Tools

TSX: How far off lands?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
Our local powder supplier does not have data for the Barnes TSX and so sticks to the more conservative Barnes X suggestions.
In it, they say that the bullet must be set as far out as possible, but still at least 2mm (.0787") off the lands.
Is this true for the TSX too considering supposedly less pressure? Can I go further out?
I am shooting 130gr TSX in my Remington .270 Win.
Advice please.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I called Barnes wondering the same thing, they told me most all their bullets like to be 50 thousands off the lands.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine seem to shoot the best at .070 from lands. That is where I start reloading and then adjust to .050 ond .030.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
KAroo, Your barrel will tell you where it likes to start from, so begin your loads with the manufacturers suggestions and experiement as you gain experience with the bullet and your barrel. Keep notes, and targets if possible. Since the bullet is not particularly jump sensitive, load as you feel you want it, and do not be afraid of not reaching the lands.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've got some rifles that like the TSX just off the lands and some that like it just over 50 thou.

You can start at .030 off and work to .050 off. If that doesn't produce, then start at the lands and work deeper.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My 7 mag like .050" off the lands and my 375 H&H likes them .075" off.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and from the advice it seems as if I do not have to be as conservative as with Barnes X.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Although Barnes does recommend 50 thou off the lands, I've worked with a number of rifles that had different requirements. Some even liked the bullet almost kissing the lands.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote