New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Weatherby Ideal uses?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Among others, I own a 22-250, 30-06, and 338 wm for hunting rifles, so I have most game well covered. I have a chance to buy a Mark V in 270 Weatherby pretty reasonable. What would be the ideal use of this rifle be? I hunt whitetail in WI and mule deer and elk in CO. I'm not looking to replace any guns, (I've never even sold one) just asking for a good reason to add one. (I've never needed a good reason to buy one before) Had thought antelope of sheep to be ideal, although the Mark V isn't the lightest rifle.
Idea's? What's a reasonable price to expect to pay for a Mark V rifle w/ redfield scope in good overall condition and 1 1/2 boxes of ammo through it? Owner bought it in late 80's. I won't know much more till I see it for myself.
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The 270 WBY is a great caliber and the animals you mentioned can easily be taken with said caliber, although for elk, I prefer bigger. For a used WBY depending on condition, I wouldn't pay more than 800 bucks or so. I don't count the bullets or redfield scope, that's just "extra" to sweeten the deal. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Shane in WI

270wby is a nice caliber like the 7mm wby. Ideal for goats, antelope, sheeps, and deers in a terrain were the range can be a bit long.

I would chose another action than the Mark V.

Cheers
/ JOHAN