338 Lapaua Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Just bought a Sako TRG-S 338 Lapua. I need some loads for the Barns TSX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a few pounds of Hodgdon H-1000, some Federal 215M primers, start at 94 grains and work you way up to best accuracy. My best bullet is the 240 grain North Fork, I have shot the 225 TSX and it is OK, I have also shot the Barnes X and XLC, and everything else in .338. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which bullet weight, and do you mean the Barnes XBT, XLC, or XFB bullet?

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not knowing what bullet weights I can only reccomend powders not charge weights. But in my 2 Lapua's I've had best luck with VV-N165, Retumbo and RL-25 in that order............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
How did you go with loads for your 338 Lapua? I've just picked mine up today and I was hoping you would have some pet loads.
Regards,
Bob.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting my Lapua extensively recently getting ready for a Wolf hunt. I have two best loads. 97 Grains of H-1000 and Fed 215M primer with either 225 or 240 grain North Fork, I picked the 225 grain for a little more speed. My other load is 92.5 grains of RL-22 with the same primer and 225 grain North Fork. The are both one holers when I have a good day on my end of the trigger. Before I get replys about hunting Wolf with a .338 Lapua, I am not worried about the Wolf, but I want to be ready for the Grizzly that may be wanting a warm meal in January in Alberta. Eeker Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current load for the same rifle is 100 grains H-1000 with a Barnes 225 TSX and Federal 215M primers. This is hot, published max for Barnes X. I have another load around here for Hornady 225s, which might be better for wolves. I shot a number of groundhogs at around 250 yards last summer with the Hornady load. The Sako 995 is one heck of a rifle. Be sure to keep the action screws tight and locked down.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
the best choise (for me) to load the big 338 Lapua Magnum is to use:
Only Lapua brass, case length 2,715"
Federal 215 GM primers
Vihtavuori N 560 powder
Lapua 250g bullets (Lock base or Scenar)
Start your loads from 88.0g powder and work up carefull to MAX 92.0g.
OAL depends on your barrel groowes, I put the bullet at 0.06 to 0.05 distance bullet-groowe.
In long barrel (27 1/2") this loads will give you a nice velocity, accuracy off course dependes many on your gun and barrel.
My results: 0.5 MOA and 3170 Fps misurated with Oehler chronograf
What can I ask more form my gun???
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are pro
peoples in Italy too---mounting area...
I know it now here in Finland. But who was boiling Sako/Beretta -85. Was they valley peoples?

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

Picl up the latest version of the VV loading manual. Some very good loads are listed.

This cartridge will very much benefit from use of a metplat uniformer.

I get mine from Montour County Rifles. Midway carries them).

It is hard to beat the Lapua 250 Grain Lock Base bullet for the money.

Get a suppressor, Get a suppressor, get a suppressor.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote