New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 2230C and .223?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone loaded this in the AR-15 with 55 Gr. FMJ Bullets? I'm starring into a 5 gallon pail of prepped and polished .223 brass that I'm about to load up, and I've got 16 pounds of Accurate 2230C to do it with, along with several thousand Winchester 55 Gr. FMJ Boattails. I like the way this stuff meters and shoots, but I was wondering how it is as far as clean burning? I've fired around 100 rounds I loaded some time back with it in my CZ 527 LUX, and it seemed OK, but I was wondering how it is when being run through an AR-15 in large quantity? I'm thinking around 25.0 to 25.5 grains. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot through 15-20lbs of std 2230 using 24.3grs and 69gr Sierra's. I wish I'd snagged 16lbs of 2230c when I had a chance - I'd be loading it now. It should work great for what you are going. I'd work up 10rds at a time until I got the proper velocity for the 55gr bullets you were using and then shoot the heck out of them.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comeback. I just finished setting up my Dillon for 25.0 Gr. of AA 2230C with the 55 Gr. FMJ Winchesters, and a 2.250 O.A.L. I wish I had snagged more of this stuff as well. I bought it from Natchez when it was going for around $60.00 for 8 pounds. I should have bought 4 or 5 jugs of the stuff when I had the chance. It flows through a measure like silk. Funny how hindsight is always 20/20. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes I've loaded 2230-C up to 25.5gr with bullets ranging from 50 gr. to 62 gr. with good accuracy and what looks like mild pressure. There has been some soot but not a heck of a lot. I still have 12 pounds. This was in a Savage 12bvSS-S. Don't have any semi-autos. WinkHope this is of some help. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I've noticed out of my CZ 527 as well. But I think it's as clean, or maybe even cleaner than several others I've tried over the years. I have to be careful with powders in my Dillon. Too small of a granule, like H-110, and it can cause the measure to bind up. Too large and it is very difficult to achieve a smooth powder cycle. This AA-2230C is just about perfect. My Dillon is an older RL-450 with manual powder charging and priming. If things do get jammed up it's easy to take care of. The powder measure is about the only thing from Dillon that I don't really care for. The fact they are die cast doesn't help in maintaining a close tolerance fit between the powder bar, and the measure housing itself. In this regard Hornady's set up they have on their Lock-N-Load Progressive is much better. Bill T.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
BOOMTwo powders that seem to be clean and do well in my .223s are Accurate 2015 and Accurate 2520. leftyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote