Notify
Tools

Need an expert eye!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
Hey folks,

I went to the range to try out my first run of 9mm luger ammo. I used a mix of case brands, 124 grain FMJ, and 3.1 grains of Clays. I had several stove pipe malfunctions. I started at minimum charge, so I figured I'd just move up .2 grains and fix the FTE's. Here's the question. Upon examining the fired cases I saw some marks on the primers that seem a bit odd. I don't have allot of experience with the 9mm so I hope someone can tell me if these are signs of pressure. Logic tells me if it's not cycling the action well that this is probably not pressure signs, but they look a bit different so any input would be appreciated. Sorry guys my camera and ability at photography sucks! Thanks!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Why Clays? Start load I show is 3.5gn and the max load is 3.7gn. This powder has a tendency to show very abrupt pressure spikes.
2) I get those "indications" all the time. The primers are not flattened in any way. Wouldn't concern myself.
3) 3.1gn is low, according to my manuals. Be sure you have a solid grip and you're not limp-wristing.
4) What is the purpose of your load? I would look to AA2, N320, 231/HP38, and other fast powders without a pressure spike issue, if I was working for an IDPA minor load. Even Bullseye and Red Dot offer a much greater room from starting load to max load to work within. For a normal plinking load to near full-power, I would look to WSF, SR4756, HS6, Silhouette, or Power Pistol

Posts: 129 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I'm only using Clays because I have a ton of it I need to use up. I'm going to take your recommendation and look into some different powders. Probably WSF. What manual is your data out of? Just wondering because I'd like to have one more manual.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primer swipe not uncommon in auto pistols. As the case is being ejected the primer is dragging on the firing pin which is still protruding from the breech face. As the pistol cycles the firing pin resets. Some pistols that reset is faster and it resets before the case ejects so there are no marks or just a slightly oval looking primer strike like you have. Others the reset is slow and you will have a line the nearly the depth of the primer strike all the way to the edge of the primer pocket. With the pistol not cycling all the time or cycling slow the firing pin is not resetting before ejection is attempted. Get the pistol running up to speed the marks might go away or you still might see them.

Really nothing to worry about. Might want to clean the firing pin, spring and channel. Some gunk might be slowing things up in addition to the light loads. I would not be too worried. My XD does this occasionally the Ruger SR9 does it all the time to such a degree that I can pick out my brass at the range without even looking at the headstamp. If it is 9mm and has that mark I know it came from my gun.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:

My XD does this occasionally the Ruger SR9 does it all the time to such a degree that I can pick out my brass at the range without even looking at the headstamp. If it is 9mm and has that mark I know it came from my gun.

These came from my SR9C. Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense to me now! tu2

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
This powder has a tendency to show very abrupt pressure spikes.

Something is not right. If its not pressure spikes, then your measure is not dropping consistent weights of powder. Is bridging a possibility with this powder? Large flakes like 800X?? I have never used it. Photos of pressure signs> Link

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:

Something is not right. If its not pressure spikes, then your measure is not dropping consistent weights of powder. Is bridging a possibility with this powder? Large flakes like 800X?? I have never used it. Photos of pressure signs> Link[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on bridging please?

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The powder may bunch up/stack in the drop tube or hang up somewhere else in the measure. One case will get less powder, say 2.5 gr. The next case will get the extra .6gr of powder. Some measures have a optional unit for loading small amounts of powder for handguns. This works better than using the larger rifle chamber type. Your using such a small about of powder, that bridging is probably not your problem, but worth checking. Primers should, for the most part, look the same

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I switched to Unique for the 9mm loads and I still have some firing pin drag on the primers, but they look uniform at least. I'll just keep using the clays on the .45 ACP.