Find
Notify
Tools

Changing brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I found myself some accurate loads using winchester nickel plated brass I saved from factory loads. The brass has lived it's life so I bought winchester non plated brass and my groups have openned right up. I feared this but did not want to buy the winchester nickel cause it takes a couple of firings before the primer pockets will let the primer seat all the way. I have found this with the same brass in another calibre I'm loading for.

Now what I was hoping was it would be just like the federal nickel plate that I'm loading for in 7mag. I can go back and forth between the plated and non plated and everything stays the same. No issues with the primers also.

I have noticed that the federal plating is on much thinner. Since I have to start over again I wish that I bought federal for my 25/06. [Mad]

Any one have any experience with this problem?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The problem i had with the nickel brass was flaking off at the mouth and embedding itself in the seater die causing scratches in the cases. The brass was federal, it ALL went in the trash after that ordeal.

I would imagine that a slight increase in powder charge in the unplated cases would improve the situtation if the plating is that thick.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what MSSmagnum said. It is also a pain to chamfer(flakes off) I seldom use it anymore unless I'm forced to for purposes of identification.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have been using R-P nickle-plated 7X57mm brass. It has stood up well, is still very clean, no flaking. I wish I could get some in .375 H&H and a couple of other calibers!

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
MSSmagnum

quote:
I would imagine that a slight increase in powder charge in the unplated cases would improve the situtation if the plating is that thick.

I've tried your suggestion up to a full grain of powder and am about to try another .5. No luck yet. Should I try starting over with what powders I have? These bullets are expensive and hunting season is four weeks away. I can't get better than 2.5" groups which could do, but I'm much to fussy.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Raising the powder charge may help but, how many more variables are in your ammo?

The plated brass may be thicker but then again it might be thinner. how does neck tension compare with the old brass?

Did you run out of powder while wearing out the old cases and replace it with another lot #??

How about bullets, are they from the same lot #?

Does the case fit the chamber the same?

Is there runout caused by thinner necks not sitting in the chamber the same?

Did you fire form the new cases before decicing they are not as inherantly accurate as the old formed cases? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the range and I think it's pretty much taken care of.

I fired a group from the old brass and got a 3/4" group. That has ruled out the powder/bullet from different lot theory.

Then I fired a group from the new brass and 1.5gr. increased charge and got a group of 1.2". That is a great improvement over the last couple of times to the range. Tomorrow I'll try a couple of more groups and increase a little and see what happens.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to buy another box of XLC's. Or maybe I'll go with my partition load and save $15. But that load was developed with the nickel brass to. [Mad]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Even if you had purchased a new lot of plated cases you might be in the same position. The only thing you can do is just what you are doin, work the load. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote