New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast vs. Jacketed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I am not an amateur, I have been reloading for the better part of 45 years, but this is something that I can't seem to get. I mostly, with a few exceptions for hunting, load cast bullets in all my handgun cartridges, mainly .45 Colt, .44 Special and Magnum. So here is my question. I was given approx. 1000 Hornady 250 gr. HP jacketed bullets for .45 Colt. Most of the loading manuals, Hornady, Lyman, Speer, etc. give different load data for the 250 gr. cast vs. jacketed. With the modern cast bullets being very hard, possibly even more so than the copper jacketed, is it safe to interchange data for the two bullets, even though the manuals do not show same powder/charge weight for the two? And lastly, I was able about 6 months ago to pick up a couple of pounds of BE-86 powder when Unique was impossible to come by in my neck of the woods. It was reviewed to be a new "wonder" powder. The newest Lyman manual, 50th, list NO loads for that powder in any of the pistol cartridges in the manual, it is not even listed in the burn rate table. I haven't gone through the Hornady X manual yet, but still, anyone have some sources for data for the above cartridges? I went on the Alliant site...nothing. On the Hodgden site...3 loads only for the .44 Magnum,
different bullet weights, no starting/max data, just one load for each bullet. Thanks in advance/

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use jacket bullet data with the cast bullets but not the other way around jacket bullets normally have higher pressures

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Jacketed bullets are "sticky" and the design makes them stiffer whether the lead inside is stiffer or not than your cast bullet. Your cast bullet has relief grooves, Lube grooves,think Barnes TSX, that we put Lube into. Normal cast bullet is much easier to push through a barrel than the same weight jacketed.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there ya go..two good posts.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote