Notify
Tools

Internal Ballistics
 Login/Join

<Old Timer>
posted
Hello,
I hope someone can help.
I am looking for a Ballistic program for computers that will allow you to put in your powder and load you are using including the primer and bullet then tell you about the velocity and pressure of your load. Most I have looked at want to tell you what to load but will not take your load, I hope this makes sence,,,
Old Timer

<holtz>
posted
As far as I know there are only two computerized internal ballistics programs. Load From A Disk, and Quick Load. I've used both, and its QLoad hands down. It will do what you indicated you want.

Steve

<Don Martin29>
posted
Do a search here for "LoadBase". It works and it's free!

<holtz>
posted
I think I should elaborate a little. No program will magically tell you what your pressure is. And no such program can be used effectively without a good chronograph. Please don't think you'll be able to punch your load into the program and get accurate results. It will give you you what is a *average* answer. However, no two rifles will likely give the same velocity and pressure with the same load. You have to go to the range with you rifle and load and, using a chronograph, get an honest velocity adjusted to muzzle.

Now, go back into the program and tweak it (in QLoad) to read *your* velocity. You do this by adjusting "Case Capacity", which is a variable. As you adjust case capacity to change velocity to match your gun, pressure and everything else will change on the screen. When the program's velocity matches yours, the program will be customized for that load in that specific gun.

Remember, these programs are just a tool. One of many that you will use to reach your goal. They are not 100% accurate, and you will want to follow all common safety precautions, including starting at least 10% low and working up.

However, properly used, these programs can save you a lot of time, effort and money. Essentially, they will put you on the fast track very quickly.

Steve

[ 06-06-2002, 06:24: Message edited by: holtz ]

<Old Timer>
posted
Thanks to all,
Don, Load with a disk is a fine program but it will not do what I want.
Holtz, I understand and agree about the chron-o-graf I wanted to see about the presure ave. and a start on the vel thank to all I guess there are no other programs that will do what I want.
Old Timer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Timer, I just got a copy of Accuload and Calculoader from AEM Enterprises. You said you wanted internal ballistics? Well, this program will give you both internal AND external.
I've just got started with the program last night but my first impression is it's VAST and anything it won't do, we probably don't need to do anyhow. You might check out this option.

Their website is www.aement.com

Hope this helps a little or if you'd like to email me direct, I'll try to answer your questions. P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Old Timer>
posted
Pecos45
Thank you for directing me to this sight, Did you have to buy both and what ia the difference ????
Can you use your load and will the program give you the velocity and pressure with your load??
Old Timer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Timer:
Pecos45
Thank you for directing me to this sight, Did you have to buy both and what ia the difference ????
Can you use your load and will the program give you the velocity and pressure with your load??
Old Timer

OT, the truth is I have scarcely had time to do more than install the program and hop about in it for a few minutes. I was VERY impressed with all the features, however. I suggest you contact them direct at the link I gave you above and get your questions answered properly rather than me steering you wrong. Sorry I don't feel qualified just yet. [Frown]

Give me a few days.

If I am not mistaken they are about to come out with a new version soon, which I THINK combines BOTH programs into one. But check with them. They are nice folks.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote