New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight reloads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I loaded up 40 rounds for my 7mm-08 the other day.
RCBS dies, 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips, 43gr-45gr Varget, and 1x fired winchester brass which had been full length sized and trimmed with a Lee trimmer. Cartridge oal was 2.795".

The brass were from Win Super X and Supreme 140 gr pp loads that I had fired in this gun (Savage 11). The factory loads showed no difficulty loading or unloading.

The new reloads are all a little snug in the chamber, but a few more than others. None of them are too tight that I cannot close the bolt with my thumb while gripping the stock. That is, it does require some effort to close the bolt while the factory ammo did not.

This is peculiar as I've never had this happen to me before, however I have only loaded for the 30-30 and 45-70 prior to this.

Should I be concerned at all?

I have a mind like a steel trap... rusty and illegial in 37 states.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned although you SHOULD be ok.

I'm not familiar with 7mm-08. Are you loads on the high end?

Me, I'd pull 'em.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same thing with 7mm08 brass and RCBS dies. In my case I found that the expander ball was 'pulling' the shoulder forward as it was being drawn out of the case. Extra lube did not help and the problem was resolved by swapping the expander ball for a tapered Hornady one. Your loads are probably OK, just running minimum headspace.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check & see if your bullet is entering the rifling. you may be pushing the bullet into the case or etching it in the rifling.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick responses. The bullet is not entering the rifling, that was the first thing I checked for.

The expander ball issue seems plausible. I Think I will eventually switch to the Lee collett neck sizer, that should eliminate this problem.

I'll put some marker on the brass of the loaded ammo and see where it rubs off inside the chamber. This should tell me if there is a lot of pressure on the shoulders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lube the inside of the case at the shoulder neck junction with a bit of Imperial Die wax the neck won't pull forward. Use a Q-tip
a litle goes a long way.
Good luck1

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is quite a few possible things, depending.
But the thing to try with all loads after any
change is to try the prepared brass in your chamber before reloading. One case at least.
You should have seen me trying to track down this strange mark on my brass just down from the
shoulder. It seemed to appear when I wasn't looking. Turned out to be this stupid new Lee
chamfer tool would sometimes rub on the case if
my hand wobbled enough.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did what I said I was going to do. I took one of the tighter loaded cartridges, covered all the brass with red marker, closed the bolt on it, and looked to see where the marker had come off.

There was a ring visible on the brass. I'm not sure how to describe this. You have the neck, the shoulder, then the main body of the brass. The ring was on the shoulder just above the body of the brass. I do believe that the neck was pulled out a bit during resizing.

No other pressure points were visible on the brass.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
It should be fine to use your reloads providing they chamber then. The Lee Collet die would be a good fix for the problem, or if you need to f/l size compare the Hornady & RCBS expander balls. The difference in shape and taper is obvious and self explanatory. Depending on the vintage of the RCBS die, it is a simple swap and the cheapest solution.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve had this problem and found sometimes a bit of polishing with fine grit (~600)emery paper with the expander turning in a drill will help with the shoulder being pulled out. Don`t remove too much, you only want to polish the ball, maybe .001". This and lubeing the inside of the necks should pretty much reduce any drag and stop the pulling.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone!

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Your problem appears that you don't have the die set up to move the shoulder back upon re-sizing. The bottom of the die should touch the shellholder just before the press arm bottoms out. Once the shell holder comes in contact with die you should be able to push the press arm about an inch or so more with resistance, this is called Cam over. When you feel it you will understand the term. I would first order a case gauge from Sinclair International or Dillons. This is a steel sleeve you drop the case into and it has a cut on the end that the case mouth comes out. It is cut so you can visually see if its a no go or go.
Hope this helps
sinclair is at www.sinclaitint.com the case gage is a Wilson part #W707G. $9.99

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with seperating the sizing and neck expanding operations. I use a decapping rod without an expander ball to decap while sizing and then (most of my die sets are 3 die sets with a seperate expander,but for those that aren't) screw the expander ball onto the decapping rod without a pin and then into the sizing die. The expander need only go into the neck far enough to expand it, but not far enough that the sizing begins. The expander will pull back out with little effort. No (or almost no) lube is required on the neck.
This process has minimized the problem you are having for me.

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you are experiencing is that you did now resize your case enough and the shouder is butting up....screw your resizer down to touching and try that, it you still experience the same problem then file about .001 off your shell holder until you get what your wanting...

I sometimes turn about .002 to .004 off my expander ball to get a snug fit, but I doubt that is your problem....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reloads shot fine. I was getting 1/2 inch 2-shot groups at 100 yards! Excellent for me. I might have been able to do better with a better rest.

I do believe the last three posters were correct. I prepped the cases I shot at the range for reloading again, and I did notice that I didn't push the loading arm all the way down on the first two pieces of brass. I corrected myself, and the properly resized brass gave no resistance when placed in the chamber.
I had the die installed correctly, I just wasn't following through when resizing.

Thanks for the help!

btw: Savage model 11, 7mm-08, leupold 1 piece base & rings, Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44, Winchester brass, 45 gr Varget, 120gr NBT, and a little bit of snow and wind at the range.

Sighted in for 2" high at 100 yards.