THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re-sizing .22-250 and a case mouth examination ...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-sizing .22-250 and a case mouth examination ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any reason to full length re-size .22-250?

Fired single shot, always in the same rifle.

I've gotten varying opinions as to the accuracy potential in leaving the case fireformed size.

I've heard the best way to go is to use a full length die and then set it short of full length contact. But how short?

Comment?

Also, I've used carbide dies for many pistol calibers - no lube required. Are there carbide dies out there for rifle calibers? (the 250?)

I haven't seen any.

Topic #2

...is another Bench Rest-type anal retentive topic. Even though Minute Of Groundhog is sufficient, I'll admit I'm somewhat susceptable to the line of emotional thought that results in "over-prepping" cases (among other things) ... the whole chamfer this and de-burr that mentality - sorted cases - uniformed primer pockets, etc.

So, I perked my ears up when I overheard a nitpick session gather steam at the rifle range.

It was mainly about polishing the inside of the neck to ensure smooth and accurate(?) bullet release. I'd never heard of this practice before. Chamfer yes, polish no.

One swore by it and another was sceptical. So what else is new? [Razz]

The guy said he used a modified jag that holds a short length wind of old, worn Crocus Cloth (machinist/T&D maker polishing cloth.) soaked through use with diamond compound / polish (also Tool and Die stuff)

Chucks it in a variable speed drill parked in a stand on a bench.

Sticks his cases on the clothed jag and goes at it. The neck interiors looked like a mirror. He doesn't btw, polish/tumble his brass - he said "what for"? [Big Grin]

Probably one of those things that "Hey! it makes me feel better" so I do it? And dang the lack of scientific proof one way or the other? Probably couldn't be proven or disproven, anyway?

BTW. This guy is a highly respected Tool and Die Maker - (mid-50's?) and also is considered a little peculiar. But then most T-D guys are, aren't they? [Eek!]

Pooh pooh-ers are welcome to laugh and anal retentives are welcome to comment - discuss! [Smile]

TBC

[ 07-20-2003, 06:58: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

<BigBob>
posted
The B.C.,

I've loaded for several .22-250s over the years. I have never full length resized a case. I have always had better accuracy with neck sized cases. As for TC rifle dies, Dillon has a few, but they still require that the cases be lubed. I'm one of those who prep my cases "to death". I even uniform the diameter of the flash holes, but I have never heard of polishing the inside of case necks. I'll let tumbleing the cases take care of that. I think the meanest thing I've ever done to another shooter was at a benchrest match. At one match, I could do nothing wrong. A fellow shooter asked me what I had changed, since I was feeling pretty cocky, I told him that I had started counting the powder grains to insure I was getting the same load every time. Half way through the next match he commented that counting the grains of powder didn't seem to help much. I never did tell him the truth, which is why I'm still alive. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and shot more 22-250 Remingtons over the years than really makes any sense. I have generally seen a little improvement in groups using necks sized brass, but not much. The biggest reason I neck size is just for the convience. I do not have to lube the cases and it speeds things up a little.

When using full length dies to partially size any of a bunch of cartridges I just use a washer about the thickness of a nickel placed on top of the shell holder then run the ram all the way up. I screw the die down until it mashes on this washer and then set the lock ring. Works for me.

In regard to polishing the inside of the case necks I have not done it but I can imagine that it "could" help. Any number of people I know clean the inside of the case necks with a nylon brush each time they reload them. Not exactly polishing it, but cleaning any residue out of the neck.

I have a 6mm X 47 that I only own a neck sizing die for. I have found that I need to dip the necks in powdered graphite and run them over a brush each time I load them or I get uneven neck tension on the bullets. That is, if I try to only graphite every other case or something along those line, I can definetly feel the difference in neck tension when I go to seat the bullets.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
In addition to polishing the inside of the case mouths, if you place the empty cases in a silk bag, and then place the bag inside the carcass of a 5-day old dead black cat, along with eyes of toads, wings of bats, and ears of dragons; and then dance in an eliptical fashion, 5 times in a clockwise manner, while chanting "To the God of the most accurate" in the ancient tongue of booga-booga, your loads will also be more accurate...

...and that's the truth!!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe me I'm not anal retentive, but where would one get the hooked on phonics version of booga-booga? [Big Grin]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Believe me I'm not anal retentive, but where would one get the hooked on phonics version of booga-booga? [Big Grin]

E-Bay...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool!

And if they also have the dragon ears I'm on my way to more accurate loads. Can't wait.

You've got a terrific web page but I must have missed this part of it. Time to update, Steve.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBob, you said it all!!! I've said if the winner at a stool shooters match was chewing strawberry bubblegum, the next week the line would smell like a fruit salad and there would be learned articles written discussing the advantages of strawberry gum over spearmint.
I believe there are folks that reload to shoot and folks that shoot to reload. I feel that any time taken to "over prep" my ammo is wasted time that I could have spent shooting.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Cool!

And if they also have the dragon ears I'm on my way to more accurate loads. Can't wait.

You've got a terrific web page but I must have missed this part of it. Time to update, Steve.

I've got all the dragon's ears...and believe me...they ain't for sale...

one of us
posted Hide Post
That settles it. No use polishing the inside of my case mouths if there are no more dragon's ears to be had. I reckon they go hand in hand. [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 22-250 for about 7 years and use nickle plated cases and only neck size my brass. The main reason to do this is to extend case life. Accuracy may pick up some but this mainly depends on how well the chamber on your gun was cut - A sloppy cut chamber will benifit more from neck sizing than a tight cut chamber. Spend the $25 to by a set of LEE Collet dies. It will be the best investment you ever made. As for polishing the inside case neck I can see to point but I think its overkill. I use a .22cal copper brush and a drill to clean the case necks. For a good old school refernce may I suggest you read some of Bob Hagels writing (Guns and Loads for Hunting is probably his best). His load data is a little outdated (lots of reference to Norma powders), but his techniques are very insightful.