New
Find
Notify
Tools

WC 867 vs. WC 872
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently obtained a quantity of WC-867 surplus powder, but haven't loaded any of it. I have some bit of experience with WC 872, however. Has anyone made a direct comparison of these two powders to give me an idea of their burn rates relative to one another?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
A slow .50 BMG and 20mm powder. It will work well in the belted magnums with a heavy bullet.
A long barrel will provide the best velocities and less unburnt powder in the bore.
I doubt you'd have much luck in the .223-30-06 class rifles as you would have to use a very heavy bullet which is going to reduce case capacity.
Some say the powder is close to H870. I have no idea if this is true or not.
I'd try a tight crimp and a magnum primer to see if it may work in the "regular
" calibers most folks shoot.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:

Some say the powder is close to H870.

WC-872 is significantly slower than H870, at least in the lots I've worked with. What I was wondering is if WC-867 is, say, 90% or 110%, as fast as WC-872, or if it differs more than this and if so, in which direction?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
from Wideners:

Use loading data for AA8700, work loads up accordingly.

There is almost no difference between WC867 and WC872 powder and the same loading data is used for both. The slight differences will depend on the bullet used, the neck tension, whether you are shooting a bolt action or semi auto. The individual guns MAY or may not shoot each powder differently. This is a contract powder in which you will just have to find the best load that will work for your particular gun within the working range of powder used in the 50 BMG cartridge.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some 50 cal powder WC860 I believe I can't put enough into any rifle case to make it work worth a darn. Low vel and lots of unburned powder.

I tried it in 300wm 338wm 30-06 and my 416 Taylor.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have some 50 cal powder WC860 I believe I can't put enough into any rifle case to make it work worth a darn. Low vel and lots of unburned powder.

I tried it in 300wm 338wm 30-06 and my 416 Taylor.

Not surprising. WC-860 is virtually the same burning rate as WC-872 (and perhaps WC-867 if the Widener's information is accurate.) Only cartridges with a very high case capacity for bore -- and heavy for caliber bullets -- are suitable for such powders. I've had excellent luck with these powders in .264WIN/140gr and 7mm STW/175gr. These powders are also adaptable to other large capacity cartridges like .30-378, 7mm RUM, etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
A slow .50 BMG and 20mm powder. It will work well in the belted magnums with a heavy bullet.
A long barrel will provide the best velocities and less unburnt powder in the bore.
I doubt you'd have much luck in the .223-30-06 class rifles as you would have to use a very heavy bullet which is going to reduce case capacity.
Some say the powder is close to H870. I have no idea if this is true or not.
I'd try a tight crimp and a magnum primer to see if it may work in the "regular
" calibers most folks shoot.

posted Hide Post
I have 8 lb. of WC867 that I hope to put to use somewhere. I had reasonable results with it in my 7MM rem. Mag but IMR 4350 has proven time and again to be the best fit for my model 700. I seek info on where to start when using WC 867 in my 300 rem. short action ultra mag.It seems there is no data to be found for this match up but I'm sure there is potential for this powder in the 300 saum. I'm told I could get a starting load using IMR 7828 data. I have a hand full of test rounds loaded now and ready for trial,staring at 64 grains and topping out at 68 grains with 165 gr bullets using the WC867. Anyone out there have an opinion on what I'm attempting here?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Frowner I've been fooling around for more than 25 years with 5010 and 5020 which are in the same ball park, with no real luck at all.In fact when I started to test them with duplex loading it almost proved deadly. It might have been one of those times where if you get the temperature and pressure up high enough to sustain burning ,you may have too much powder in the case. Some day I probably will use what's left on Roses or tomatoes. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've use some 872 in 50 usually use 860 but i found a barrel of 872 cheap - i usually use 230 gr of 860 but 210 gr of 872 gave the same results

don't think i want to use 230 of 872

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an 8# keg of WC 860 from Jeff Bartlett quite a few years back, and have been burning it in mine and my son's 7 Remington Mags. I use a Federal 215, 79 grains of 860, and an original Nosler 162-grain Solid Base bullet.

Both rifles will shoot one ragged hole at 100 if I do my part, cases are not smutty, and there is no unburned powder in the barrel. I really don't worry all that much about velocity; I figure anything I/we hit with that 162 is dead, even at a muzzle velocity as low as 2800...

I don't see any way you will overpressure a rifle with any of these slow burners: 860, 867, or 872. I sincerely believe you can scoop a case full of powder, seat a bullet, and go. But I would use AA 8700 load data and work up, as lot variances are real...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry J

I load for the 300 SAUM and 867 is way to slow. I am using Superformance with 168 E tips and 180 gr partitions and am up to the high 60's in grains and in the 3000 fps with the 168 and 2900 with the 180's. I have also used H4350 and R-17.
R-17 has worked the best for speed and accuracy so far. Note I do use 872 and 867 and other slow powders in other cartridges 264 and 300 RUM.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJAY: Would you mind comparing your loads (amount of powder and velocities) using WC 867 with those in the same caliber(s) using WC 872? That would be very helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek I had a keg of WC867 powder. It is faster than WC860 or 872. I have found the WC867 that I have is very similar to Magpro and H450. I have found it to be excellent in the 270 win, 7mm mag, 30-338 with 180 & 200 gr bullets. I would suggest using start loads for Magpro or H450 and working up carefully. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Stonecreek I had a keg of WC867 powder. It is faster than WC860 or 872. I have found the WC867 that I have is very similar to Magpro and H450. I have found it to be excellent in the 270 win, 7mm mag, 30-338 with 180 & 200 gr bullets. I would suggest using start loads for Magpro or H450 and working up carefully. Hope that helps.

That's a little faster than I would have assumed, so your info on starting with roughly Magpro equivalents is very helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek Any calibre that I have worked up loads with WC867 I have also worked up loads with Magpro. I everycase the max load with WC867 was within a grain or two of the max load of Magpro. Even with canister grade powders you can get differences of a grain or two between different lots of powder. Your batch of WC867 may be different that mine so work up carefully. I've also found that WC867 is excellent in the short mags 270 WSM & 7mmSAUM in particular.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stonecreek

As soon as it warms up a bit I will get out the 867 and give it a try.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Stonecreek Any calibre that I have worked up loads with WC867 I have also worked up loads with Magpro. I everycase the max load with WC867 was within a grain or two of the max load of Magpro. Even with canister grade powders you can get differences of a grain or two between different lots of powder. Your batch of WC867 may be different that mine so work up carefully. I've also found that WC867 is excellent in the short mags 270 WSM & 7mmSAUM in particular.

That's good information, and what you say about the variability of powder lots is quite true. Since military powders are non-canister, it is logical to assume that they may vary somewhat more between lots than canister-grade powders. But it is very good to know that Magpro data can be used as a rough guide for WC867. If my lot of WC867 is anywhere near the range of Magpro that would make it much more useful than I had assumed.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That IS good to know. I load WC860 in my 300 Weatherby with good results but haven't tried 867 yet.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote