Newton ammo/dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:13:15 +0000
To: lswales@live.com
Subject: Re: .35 & .30 Newton brass available

Hi Larry,

Just bought 5 boxes (20 ea.) of .30 and .35 Newton direct from Quality Cartridge. Quality just had a run of .30 Newton and Patrick says they have a good stock on hand. He also said they ran .35 Newton last month with plenty of stock remaining. In my experience, brass from earlier purchase of .256 Newton seems a bit harder than Remington brass and a softer than Winchester. I have the smaller "Western" style chambers in my .30 and .35 Newtons, and RCBS dies so first sizing and fitting should be close to a perfect fit.

Best to call Quality direct at 301-373-3719 (Florida) and leave a message. I called on a Friday night from CA, call was returned following Sunday mid-morning from FL, and UPS shipping label with tracking number was issued Sunday afternoon. Used credit card for purchase but was exited to find brass, forgot to check on payment by PayPal or or other methods; sorry, slipped my mind.

P.S. Have a set of .30 Newton C-H dies which size larger than my smaller "Western" chambers and appears to better duplicate the original Newton chamber. I very carefully sized .375 Ruger brass, first with a borrowed .330 Dakota sizing die, then with multiple, very short, rotate, short, "graphite" lubed passes through the C-H die for near perfect duplicate of dimensions when compared to those indicated in Jennings book (page 98) for .30 Newton. If anybody interested, would like to sell the "original" size C-H dies (cost me $70 on E-bay last year; make an offer) to somebody needing something closer to the original chamber rather than the later "Western" chamber. Also have an extra set of C-H dies in .256 Newton, ever so slightly larger than the RCBS dies, at $40.

Thanks,

Steven

-----

Larry

Lawrence Wales
231-445-1022
lswales@live.com
www.newtonrifles.com

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
...I have the smaller "Western" style chambers ...Have a set of .30 Newton C-H dies which size larger than my smaller "Western" chambers ...
Hey Larry, What is a "Western" style chamber?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must be:

1. An overly LARGE Chamber to hold Beans, Potatoes and the Cartridge at the same time.
2. Or it is the typical thuty-thuty Chamber we know everyone out West uses.

Can't be a Minimum Specification Chamber, because that is refered to around the World as a "Minimum Specification Chamber" or colloquially as a "Tight Chamber".

Any other "Guesses???"

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have it figured out. The "Western Cut Chamber" has a Flat Spot on top where you burn Buffalo Chips(or Cow Chips in a necessity) to keep the Ammo from freezing. rotflmo