THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pacific reloading press and herters brass??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a press made by pacific. It appears to be older but in great shape.There are three places to put your dies, kind of like a single stage but all manual. (three dies set straight across from left to right. Has anyone ever seen a press like this? Any comments? It looks to be a good one.
Along with this press came a box of .44 mag brass from a company called HERTERS. I have heard of herters but am not sure how old this brass is. I recieved a BUNCH of .44 mag bullets and powder, a good deal i feel.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Pacific as I recall was bought up by Hornady. The quality of the equipment was about what Hornady puts out today in relation to the others. Do a search here on Herters. There was something about their demise recently. They went out of the shooting business about 40 years ago. Likely the brass was manufactured by one of the major makers of the time in that era.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that your three-station Pacific press is a good one and will serve you well. The only disadvantage is the need for three shellholders.

I'm shooting original Herter's brass in both .264 Winchester and .222 Magnum, and both are from the early 70's. The .264 was made in Sweden (Norma?), and the .222 Magnum was made in Finland (Sako?). Both are slighly heavier than U.S.-made brass and have served me very well. I also had some Herter's brass in .223, 6.5x55, and 7x57 at one time. It was all good. I never had any Herter's pistol brass, so can't make a comment, but I suspect that it's as good or better than anything you'd buy off the shelf today.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herter's was a neat company. Their catalog was huge. I've curled up with one on many a cold night. Their products were something like Midway. They did the job, but nothing terrific. I still have some of their 6.5x55 brass and use it in my military rifles but not in my Remington Classic.
I have some of their .224 bullets left, but they perform much like bulk bullets of today. If you were on a tight budget, Herters was a useful alternative to the name brands. They are still in business, but much smaller, catering mainly to waterfowl hunters. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote