New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dacron residue on case neck?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been around the forum awhile and finally came up with a question I couldn't answer with a search.
I've just started using dacron and have had excellent results. My fired cases do have some burnt (melted?) residue on the exterior of the neck. It comes right off with a little 0000 steel wool, but I'm not sure if this is indicative of a problem or not. The chamber neck/throat stays clean, but everything I've read here suggests that it generally gets blown out the barrel, and if recovered, looks like new.
Thank you for your time, Nick

Posts: 47 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesBeen there and figured there was also melted plastic in the barrel. Does it do any harm??? bewildered Have no idea. If I remember correctly there was also burning stuff come out of the rifle and fall in the brush.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen anything being left in the barrel after the shot.
I'm only using 2grs atop 94grs varget in a 470 Mbogo case. A 500gr a-frame does 2200fps in my 20" barrel. The varget fills about 85% with the bullet seated.
From what I've gathered from others here, I'm doing it right -just weird I've never heard of neck deposits in the 2000 posts about dacron.
Thank you, Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you probably don't need the dacron with that load.
fillers are used with medium speed powders [which varget certainly is]
to keep the powder against the primer to help ignition and keep extreme spreads in velocity smaller.
generally a load in the 60% case cap, and smaller range are most benefited.
you may benefit from case annealing to help it seal better.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 500gr a-frame does 2200fps in my 20" barrel. The varget fills about 85% with the bullet seated.

If I had an 85% capacity load I sure wouldn't be jacking around with a filler.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In smaller cases I've had no reservations about an 85% load and they've all shot well with no "click... bang"s. But being new to loading large cases (bigger than 375 h&h), I wasn't sure.
My reason for using a filler was that 15% in a case this size is quite a bit of space. Powder is about 5/16-3/8" below bullet base.
Anybody currently loading big cases with dacron seen what I'm talking about?
Thanks for the replies, Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a little experimenting today, tried the load w/out filler. Extreme spreads went from 20ish to 80ish fps. Also noticed though that I had a lot less crap on the case necks. Previously, I had always shot a couple rounds loaded with trail boss right off the bat. Today I went staight to the heavier loads. So it appears that the trail boss was leaving a lot of grunge in the neck area that would show up when I fired warmer loads. Thanks all for the feedback! -Nick

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, am thinking you don't need the filler in that load.

Yes, Trail Boss is known for being dirty--leaving lots of residue--because of its high bulk.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote