New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is wrong with my barnes manual?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have noticed (after 3 or so years) that my barnes reloading manual #3 is really screwed up on some of the case dimensions. Am I that far behind on the scoop here? I have only used it for powder load comparisons to my other load books and thus have not paid that close attension to case dimensions. Is there a recall?

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The long and the short of it is that they put out a book that was exceedingly poorly proof read. What was worse than the messed up case dimensions (same with the #2 manual), is that some of the loading data was wrong. You can go to the website for corrected pages. Even so, the manual was never recalled.

Major blunder, IMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The Barnes manual as well as the Barnes software is junk...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose they would be interested in trading out a crappy book for a corrected one either. Between the Barnes book and the Lee book I haven't found one tidbit of usable information and in fact have never worked up any load from them.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
The Barnes manual as well as the Barnes software is junk...

Ain't it the truth.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The corrections to the Barnes manual can be found here:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodmanual.php
(corrections are at the bottom of the web page)

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the barnes page listed and guess what? It doesn't cover anything I am interested in. I have e-mailed them and now await their answer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one that noticed this sort of thing, but there are dozens of mistakes in that book. Missing sentences on the ends of a page, incorrect SDs, and so forth. I sanity-check everything against another source anyway, but especially with the Barnes manual.

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The corrections that Barnes posted on their web site only address (I think) load data corrections. (Liability issues... etc.) I don't think they addressed cartridge diagram corrections, spelling mistakes, etc.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, the latest Cartridges of the World, lists
different primer sizes for the 6mm Br, depending on which neck diameter they happen to be talking about. Nearly as bad as novels where the authors don't know a Rev from an Auto.
(Joseph Kanon, for one.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a big deal. with the exception of the 243 data, those are all squid cartridges.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
not a big deal. with the exception of the 243 data, those are all squid cartridges.

OK when does the squid season start? :-)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Between the Barnes book and the Lee book I haven't found one tidbit of usable information and in fact have never worked up any load from them.

I bought a Lee book a coupla' yrs. back and, for the life of me, have no idea why I still have it. I looked through it briefly when I first got it, put it on the shelf and decided I would never use it.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave my Lee manual away, and I usually hoard
books; perhaps I just couldn't understand it all.

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
If you call Barnes, they will replace it. I got one of the first copies out of the new manual, and I was amazed at the number of errors. I went through the whole book and marked up the pages with yellow post it notes. I compared the case dimensions with other reloading manuals and discovered that other manuals had errors, although it was on the order of one or two, not dozens.

Anyway, Barnes did a new printing and sent me a new copy. They didn't say anything about all the edits I did for them, though.

RobertD

RobertD

I prefer my fish raw, my meat extra rare, and P.E.T.A on the BBQ. Any questions?

(Pork Enhanced Through Alcohol)

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA
SCI Golden Gate Chapter
www.woodpeckings.com

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What manuals can I depend on? and is there any where I can go for accurate Barnes data?

Being new to reloading, this whole topic is scary.

Posts: 2 | Location: Grangeville, Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcswine:
What manuals can I depend on? and is there any where I can go for accurate Barnes data?

Being new to reloading, this whole topic is scary.

Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, would be an excellent place to start.

Barnes is the most depressing presenter of "goods & information" to have ever removed money and time from my life cycle. They will not get a second shot at me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to loading data I depend on the Sierra manual. I can't trust Barnes data. I like the bullets but not the manual.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't have the sierra manual, but do have nosler and hornady. I, a little confused on comparitive loads. I think I read on another post that the Barnes TSX takes about a grain less than conventional bullets.??

Posts: 2 | Location: Grangeville, Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
When it comes to loading data I depend on the Sierra manual. I can't trust Barnes data. I like the bullets but not the manual.

I can't trust Sierra hunting bullets, but I like Sierra manual too.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mcswine

That has been my experience in three or four calibers with the Barnes TSX. I wouldn't just assume that, work up max. loads with care as always.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote