New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE TURRET PRESS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm using a LEE turret press at the presant time due to volume of loading&laziness (also it was in my price range).The only complaint I have with it is Indexing the damm thing! I've followed the Instructions to the letter,but as soon as I get it indext the next pull of the lever it doesnt line the die up & I have to align it up withthe case by hand! I was wondering if anybody else has this prob bewildered

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dok - I too have had the "indexing" problem and would be interested if anyone knows how to get it to work every time. I usually only use the set-up for reloading my pistol caliber (and 45/70 cases) where a 3 die set is required. Since I can install the dies (permanently) it is still a great convience over a single stage press and I've gotten use to having to align it by hand. Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

Turret press index problem

The most common cause for the Three hole Turret press to fail to index is an over tight clamp screw. This collapses the clamp (the clamp is the two die cast parts that fit around the end of the ram) so that the outside diameter of the hex ratchet drags on the inside diameter of the clamp. The fix is to loosen the clamp screw until the clamp halves are just together. Attempt to index the press which will probably fail at this point, tighten the clamp slightly about 1/8 turn and try again. The idea is to sneak up on this from the loose side as opposed to try and loosen to the proper point.

Four hole Turret presses that have index problems are handled differently. With the turret resting in the incorrect position, place a 1/4" wrench on the flats of the actuator rod and hold it steady. Do not use a pliers - this will probably damage the surface causing further problems. Then, with the other hand, operate the turret manually until the turret is in the correct position. This should be done with dies in the turret to ensure that the turret indexes correctly under the drag of the dies in place.

With both style presses, lubricate the outside diameter of the Turret with 30 wt. motor oil, or something similar.

I had the 4 hole press, these instructions fixed the indexing problem.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz Your a life saver brings new meaning to .When in doubt ask thank you Wink

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks grizz; I'll tape your post on my reloading bench. Wink

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, guys! I don't have my turret anymore, but if memory serves the key to the indexing is the little nut that's on the top end of the square indexing shaft. It's supposed to be locked to it, but anything that would impede the turret from turning can cause it to turn slightly. Which of course means it's out of time then. Removing it and puting a drop of red locktite on it would fix it for good.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRIZZ It worked a treat took a litte persiverence& a couple of you stinkin barstards but hey its workin like a charm now.Next question is how do I convince my lad to do my reloading for me thus turning the press into full auto Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice above.

Also DO NOT use lube on the little plastic ratchet thingy at the base of the auto index shaft. Any slippage will cause problems. This part is normal wear item and will wear out sooner or later, get a spare.

I have had a turret that had problems indexing also , swapping the turret with another solved the problem. I use the problem turret for decapping dies.

I decap brass and reprime by hand, then use the press to powder , seat , and crimp in a separate step. Been doing this for about 20 years and it seems to be faster than any other method on a 3 hole turret press. I still load 357 , 44 Mag, etc. on this press, even after I bought a Dillon.

Travis F.