New
Find
Notify
Tools

trimming cases, how short?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How short should I trim the necks of my cases. Im still learning and Im just not sure if I should make them shorter than the max length listed in my reloading manual or if they should be right at the max length. Is there any danger to making them a little shorter?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shorter is better than longer. Most manuals list a max length and a trim to length, use the trim to length.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rule of thumb is to trim rifle cases .010 shorter than maximum and pistol .005 shorter.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Always keep the length of you cases at maximun length or shorter. A case that is to long (over maximun length) in a rife may pinch/crimp the bullet into the case. This intrapment of the bullet can cause pressures to rise greatly on firing, because the bullet can not leave the case fast enought. High pressure can be very dangerous.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short necked cases like 300wm .010 or less. Some manuals say as much as .020.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I try to set the trimmer under Max.around .012". If it comes out .010" to .014" OK go with it. As long as you are slightly under max. consistency is more important than the actual number under Max. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote