New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reload evaluation methodes?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everybody,

I've been a guest of this site for a while now and all my questions have been answered while browsing. Great forum with tons of good info. But now I have my first post.
So here goes...
I have 2 sets of reloads to test. One is for my old Dan Wesson 44 Mag. This load is intended for pig and deer. Maximum power is the goal. These are using Sierra 240gr. bullets. The powder is H110 with incremented charges from min. to max. (as per Sierra). This will be a redeveloped loading because this gun had some gunsmithing that tighened up the back and forth play in the cylinder.
The other set is for my new Savage 10FP LE-1, 20" barrel, 308 Win. This is my first high power rifle. This load is for paper punching and plinking. Accuracy is the goal. These loads are Sierra 150gr. Gamekings (SPBT) with Vit. N140, incremented from min to max.

How I used to develope loads (only for the Dan Wasson), was to fire off these first set of incremented loads. I would determine best accuracy with safe pressures. Then the next batch would 6 rounds of that promising powder charge. And also 6 rounds each 1/10 grain increments up and down. Maybe 3 step up and 3 down. What gave the best accuracy was the load I would use.
But now I have a cronogragh. This makes me wonder if I should change my evaluation methode.

I could do all intial testing through the chrono. Checking for consistant velocity and safe pressure. Saving accuracy test for the next round of testing.
Or
Use the same procedure I used before and chrono later?

And finally the question is...what do you guys suggest?

I had another question but this post looks a little long so I'll save it for later.

Thanks,
Barry

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
When I reload for rifle or handgun, unless they are light plinking loads, I am usually looking for the best accuray/acceptable pressure & highest velocity. This usually rules out min. loads, especially w/ slow powders.
Your chrono is a good tool to have. I load 1 round each & progress up in increments, chronographing each load & noteing any pressure signs (cratered or excessively flat primers, sticky extraction, etc.) When I get vel./pressure load that looks good, I load 3 rounds (5 for pistol) & shoot for group. This saves me alittle time & money & has worked well so far. Good loading manuals help you get in the ballpark too. BTW, if you are shooting your .308 for accuracy/paper only, try some of the diff. manuf. of match bullets. Happy loading! thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
fredj338,
Thanks for the advice. Was going to use it today. Unfortunately the roads to both shooting range were washed out. Guess I'll have to find another range.