New
Find
Notify
Tools

'double-lubing' cast lead?
 Login/Join

<Mudruck>
posted
Im loading up 98grn SWCs in a resized 32/20 case for a Nagant revolver, this doesnt work the gas seal like the original rounds and the bullet will pretty much hits the gas seal area of the barrel not totally in line like the original round does. Ive seen a little leading in that area, nothing totally major but enough that it almost makes me nervous to fire a orignial round after firing a batch of the 32-30 reloads.

One thing Ive done to help correct that problem is to coat the bullets with Lee liquid alox. The bullets already have a pretty blue lube in the lube grooves of the bullet.

Should I somehow remove the blue lube that comes on the bullets or can I just leave it? I havent noticed any real 'build-up' of lube in the forcing cone or anything, but would hate to be messing something up without knowing it.

Thanks
Mudruck

------------------
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America - because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" - LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

<Powderman>
posted
Leave the lube on. In my early days of casting, I experimented with double lubed bullets for my .44. I did not note an accuracy difference, but the leading problem did decrease significantly.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<Maj Dad>
posted
Mud,
I read an article in Handloading magazine a couple of years back about using Lee Drop Out for bullet molds. It's a micronized carbon spray and works great when casting, and I tried it on unlubricated, sized and unsized cast bullets, and it works. It works to the tune of no lead in the bore, period (in several pistols and rifles I have tried it in). I even sprayed some commercial hard cast and lubed bullets for use in a pistol that has an affinity for lead in any presentation, and found not a speck of plumbum anywhere. When you clean the bore you occasionally see tiny flecks, but the metal itself is lead free. It's easy, cheap, and worth a try. I was skeptical, but had some on-hand and gave it the old college try, and I now use it for the lead lovers in my collection.
Regards
George Jacoby

------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mud, does the bullet fit real tight in the bores of the cylinder? The area in the cylinder from the seated postion to the gap between the barrel. I take a bullet and try to put in in from the front and if I can push it in I know I'll get leading in the forcing cone with or without a lot of lube.
stronics

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote