Find
Notify
Tools

8x68S and 200gr bullets -any tips?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI,

I just got my 8x68S and it prints nicely shooting factory RWS ammo (187gr bullets, H-mantel, V0 970ms).

The problem is that I´d like to shoot 200gr bullets when I go to SA NEXT WEEK and so far I can only get five shots inside 100mm at about 100yards. My latest load is 70.5gr of VV N160, Federal Mag Orimers, Hirtenberg brass and 200gr Ken Stewart bullet.

I´ll now try Sako´s 200gr bullet and up the load to 71gr of N160.

Any other ideas?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe, what bullets do you have access to?? Normally one of the following would be suitable fodder for the 8x68S: 200 grs Nosler Partition, 200 grs Nosler AccuBond, 180 or 200 grs Barnes TSX, 12.7 gram Norma Oryx, Swift 200 grs A-Frame.

I don't know if you have access to any of these bullets?? If I had access to them all, and only limited time to try things out, I'd probably start with the 200 grs Nosler Partition, 180 grs TSX or the 200 grs A-Frame.

(With the TSX I'd start out with the 180 grs because the 8x68S has a comparatively small case, and you can normally go down one step in bullet weight with the TSX, and stilll get stellar penetration).

Good luck.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now have in 8mm:

Ken Stewart 200gr
Sako Hammerhead 200gr
Lapua Naturalis 180gr
Rem Core Lokt 185gr

I guess the Naturalis would be close enough to a Barnes. Do you have any loads for the Barnes?

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Unless you hit bone, all the bullets are ok. But if you do, Stewart and Naturalis could be the choice. I'd get Noslers. But first I would work on the Stewart load. Closer to the lands, maybe?
On the other hand the H-mantel is sort of a Nosler.

Relax and trust the Germans.
The Germans

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess I´m sort of hyped for the trip. I´ll try the Hammerheads with a bit more powder, 71 and 71.5gr is still below max.

I have three boxes of RWS ammo for the trip so there really isn´t a problem.

That´s why I have to invent them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe, I don't have any loads handy for 180 grs bullets in an 8x68S. Reloadersnest.com has a single suggested load with N160 and a 180 grs bullet, but sometimes that data can be a bit optimistic.... So, careful as you go.

Of the bullets you mention, the Naturalis would be my first choice to try out. They'll probably need a tad less powder than regular cup and core bullets - at least that is what I have come to believe of TSX bullets.

I think you are making it hard on yourself by shooting 5 shot groups. The 8x68S is a pretty tough caliber to shoot from the bench, and in all honesty, when do you expect to use 5 shots in the field. I personally find 3 shot groups just fine to establish useable field accuracy for large bore calibers. For target guns, I also shoot 5 shot groups.

Personally, I doubt that the Steward bullets can be made to shoot acceptably if you are currently getting 4" groups @ 100 m (or 100 yards). That is a bit far to expect the group size to shrink to a field useable size of, maybe, 1.5". I would personally try a different bullet, Naturalis or one of the ones discussed above. Maybe the Hmmerhead will do the trick??

Finally a word on your brass. I know you are running out of time, but when you get back and have more time to get componentes and work up loads, unless you have found a superb load, I'd consider ditching the Hirtenberger brass for some RWS. Hirtenberger ammo and components have a somewhat tarnished reputation in Central Europe. RWS shines in terms of (perceived ) quality.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHO: I´ve heard some less favorable things on Hirtenberger brass but so far so good -I calibrated the ones I have last night and no surprises yet.

Today I received another 60 RWS factory loads so I´ll have a total of 100pcs of RWS brass to reload -the Hirtenberger can be used as spares.

Hard on myself? Me? Just because I want perfection? Cool

Boha had a good point yesterday (when I was whining about grouping): RWS has loaded this ammo for more than 40 years and you´ve been at it for a week...

Boha should get into psychotherapy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Boha had a god point yesterday (when I was whining about grouping): RWS has loaded this ammo for more than 40 years and you´ve been at it for a week...

Boha should get into psychotherapy!

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
cewe

Only found one load, 8x68s 200 grain bullets. 78 grs RL-22. If you can't get Reloader 22, Norma MRP is just a tick faster. They are very close on the burn rate chart. Both of these powders fall between V-V160 and V-V 165.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinger: Thanks for the load. It´s hard to find foreign powders in Finland as VV has pretty much cornered the market. But 78gr of something a little slower than N160 should mean that my test loads of 71 and 71.5gr of N160 should have a wide safety margin.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
cewe

That sounds reasonable to me. I'd start with 165 and work up slowly. That should pretty much fill a case.

I have a 6,5x68s Ackley Improved that I'm still experimenting with. I'm using 71grs 0f RL-19 lately. I shot an Antelope with the Fire form loads year before last at 285 yds. !29gr bullet. He went right to sleep when hit.

I have noticed the same problems with Hirtenberger Brass. RWS is much more consistent.
I only have 50 rounds of Hirtenberger.

Good luck on your hunt.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would do it with N560, little more than with N160( 1,5grs more). Don´t use the 200grs Hammerhead with full-power-loads in the 8x68S, it is to soft! Take the 196grs Norma-Oryx, if you don´t do it with the Naturalis!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas/advice. I was a bit sceptical about how a Sako bullet might stand up to +860ms but their construction is better than it was some years ago and my gunsmith said they should be OK.

I´ll do a test run tomorrow on the Sakos and if the groups don´t tighten up I´ll just go with the RWS ammo and do some serious development when I get back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So today I played hooky from work for a couple of hours and used some of our "range time" -working for the military it´s seen as a good thing if we sharpen our shooting skills (even if I´m just a civilian doc).

My best group was a "cloverleaf" at 70m using Sako 200gr Hammerhead backed by 71gr of VN 160. That was my best group but I shot two more with the same load and had an average of abou 20mm.

I then tried 71.5gr and didn´t see a difference so I´ll stick with 71gr.

Now for the icing: I followed up with three round of RWS ammo (187gr bullet) and it grouped nicely 2cm above the 200gr!

This is too good to be true... cheers

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!
That's 5 " high / low with the 187 grs Hmantel out to 380 yds, about 15 " low at 450 yds.

Bye bye mr Baboon says the subMOA rifle...

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´d need a seeing eye dog to shoot at ranges over 250m... Wink