Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM bullet crimpin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted
I've just purchased a Ruger 77MII in 270 WSM and a box of Winchester ammo. The necks were crimped. I've reloaded my 22-250 for years and never used a crimp. Is crimping necessary? I'm also looking for some good loads for elk.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It's been discussed here quite a bit. Some like it, some don't. I happen to like the Lee Factory Crimp Dies and use them w/ almost every caliber. I believe it helps accuracy and consistency. I also like the insurance that my bullets stay seated to the same length while in the field and tossed around in the truck for a season.

It certainly doesn't hurt anything but, it's also not something you have to do by any means.

I believe Saeed and others did a study on crimping a while back maybe it's still floating around here.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimping generall isn't necessary in a bolt action rifle with moderate recoil. Although, as stated, it can affect accuracy. It could improve it or worsen it edepending on how it's done and what the gun favors with that particular powder. Factory loads are generally crimped to avoid changes in bullet seating depth from i.e. the unfired cartridges slamming into the front of the magazine and pushing the bullet in.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagles,

Search here for the loads that djpaintles uses in his 270 WSM. He has some hot shooting rifles.

Last year I used Magpro and 140's for Eastern big game. This year I may load premium 140's. My first choice will be the Accubond bullets.

The 270 WSM will do over 3200 fps with 140's from a 24" barrel in my experiance.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I crimp all of my loads with the Lee Factory crimp Die. I have found it to increase accuracy in all of my rifles. Here is a link to Saeed's FCD test, check it out.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
I'll check that study out. Thanks. I've been reading a lot about the WSM's and various bullets. The Nosler Accubond is one that I've decided to try as well as a couple of others. My barrel is 22". I'll take a look at crimp dies as well. I don't plan to shoot mild loads. I read an article a couple of months ago about barrel length and velocity. The writer cut 2" off the barrel each time and shot 10-20 rounds each time. The velocity loss was in the neighborhood of 50-60 fps. He cut from the chamber end and rechambered it each time to eliminate throat erosion. Very interesting article. I'll find it and list it.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the 270 WSM listed here.

What with the laudits for the die it seems that maybe I have not used them right or some other variable makes me think that they do not improve accuracy.

In terms of holding a bullet for recoil I don't think crimping is needed on this cartridge.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Here is the load that I've had good luck with in my 270 WSM:

This same load shoots just about as well in my buddies HS Precision 270 WSM and I load the same thing for him.

I haven't crimped any load in any of my Short Mag rifles and have gotten excellent groups out of all of them. My preference is to use a high enough powder loading density that crimping is unnecessary to prevent bullet slip during recoil.

What might be the most important accuracy trick that I do use is to straighten my bullets to .0016 or less runout using a Bersin tool, it really seems to tighten up the groups especially at longer ranges.

There are probably a several powders that will work well in the 270 WSM but RL-22 and Magpro would be the first 2 powders that I would reccommend you try in the 270 WSM. I may someday try H-4831SC and a coupld Ramshot powders in them some day but so far they've shot so well with RL-22 and Magpro I haven't wanted to change to much.
Good luck.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

What might be the most important accuracy trick that I do use is to straighten my bullets to .0016 or less runout using a Bersin tool, it really seems to tighten up the groups especially at longer ranges.

Good luck.............DJ

dj

Explain please. Nothing comes up when I search on Midway.

Thanks Smiler

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine here...

http://www.kinneman.com/web/2003/catalog/css/catalog_49.html

Basically the Bersin tool allows you to adjust the concentricity of loaded rounds. It will also measure your runout. There is also one available from I think Holland gunsmithing that is a little less expensive and works a little differently. I haven't used the Holland enough yet to know if it's as good as the Bersin tool.
Several of my buddies have tried ammo straightened by the Bersin and with a very accurate rifle I think you might be able to gain 1/4 to 1/2 MOA of accuracy............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
dj

Looks interesting. Can I ship my loaded cartridges to you and have you straighten them?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find an easy way to get the same correction that the Bersin tool does.

So far I pressed down on the bullet when the cartridge was in the RCBS CaseMaster. I was able to improve them from about .003" to .0015"

However my finger is not going to last long as I have to press quite hard. Some gunwriter says he sticks the loaded round in a hole in the bench and corrects it that way!

Thinking out loud if I put the bullet in a collet in the lathe and pulled on the belt manually it would show the runout on the case. That would be easier to correct.
==========================================
That didn't work. Tommorrow I may try putting the neck, bullet first, into the collet.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a crimp since reloading for a 30/30 back in the 50's.I have 2 270wsms and don't crimp for either,one shoots great and the other I haven't worked the bugs out yet.Since you are going to be hunting elk I would use a heavier bullet but below is an insert that I posted on another board for a fellow using target and bullets for deer where I live if you are anyone else is interested in them.
I reload for the 270wsm also.I have one in a browning and one in a win ss classic.The win has never shot a decent group yet,I just called a gunsmith this morning and I am going to take it to him next week to recrown and see if that helps it.
On the other hand the browing shoots any thing I put in it well enough to hunt with,I have so many loads that have shot 1/2 in or less than I have room to post them.
I will list some that worked great for me so you may want to try some of them.
R-22@68grs,sierra 130 SBT--@100 yds .226 3-shot group
IMR 4831@66.5 grs,130 TSX--@100 yds .378
IMR 4831@66.0 grs 130 TSX--@100yds .460
H414@61grs 130 sst--.361
R-19@67grs 110v-max --.165
IMR 4831@62grs-several groups 1 in or less @300 ydsThis is a target bullet I35 gr sierra
You can try some of these loads and some of them should work but if they don't I can probably find more that shot good.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote