New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 load/xlc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of giving the barnes 100grn xlc bullets a try. I've used 100gr gs hv's and 117btsp with excellent accuracy. I guess I've got cabin fever and need a reason to get out to the range and shoot. Anybody have a load or story to share about these bullets. Also have a 300 ultra I might try them in-165grn
Thanks!
steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I have a box of the 100grner's on the way.
I'm hearing mixed results about them so I'm interested too. At a 100+fps faster listing than the x 100gr., it is very enticing.
Some people complain about "nothing they can do will make them shoot good". Some people say if you work on it long enough, they are deadly.
All I know is I'll put some time into it and if I don't get anything promising soon, I'll move on.
At that price I can buy 2x the amount of Partitions.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I've loaded these 100 gr. XLC's in a friends Weatherby MkV Ultra Light.

With RL19, groups were in the 4" range at 100 yards. That was real odd, as it fired other bullets into much smaller 1.5" groups or smaller. I think I may have loaded them too close to the lands, I've has better success with X bullets when they were back to .050". Also, the barrel was quite fouled.

I think they could do much better, maybe with a different powder.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=25;t=0 00311#000025

This shows some of the detail with me and the X bullet(among others). They have to be back from the lands to get the best accuracy. I have had beeter luck with the 90 X BT than the 100 XLC. The increase velocity I didn't see.

I did learna few tricks to try for the coated. The X are deadly if you can get them to shoot.

Hcliff

[ 01-23-2003, 20:23: Message edited by: Hcliff ]

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Van. vs. Det.
Can't wait!

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote